Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax 500 freezes Pod XT live

Hi folks,

I bought a second hand Variax 500. Everything is fine, but if I plug it into my Pod XT live via VDI the Pod freezes and doesn't react on any switching. Unplugging the VDI of the Variax 500 puts the Pod back to life imedeatly. I can still hear the Variax's sound through the Pod, and switching the modeled sounds on Variax works normal. If I plug in the VDI of the 500 first and switch on power of the Pod lets stuck the booting of the Pod with a crinkled display. Monkey shows the Pod but not the Variax 500.

I own a Variax 300 too which works well in junction with the Pod via VDI. It shows up in Monkey plugged into the Pod XT live.

I updated all the drivers and software. No luck.

I changed the RJ45 cable. No luck. But both cables work fine with Variax 300.

I changed the RJ45 plug plate from the 300 to the 500. No luck.

I found a forum thread where is written somebody found out plugging in an TS cable instead of a TRS cable while using the VDI connection to the pod solved his problem. Not mine.

I tried to connect to workbench using Pod XT live as USB connection. Variax 500 couldn't be found, Variax 300 works.

I bought the 500 as a backup on stage in case of broken string or any other failure of the 300. Switching the guitar model of the Variax by changing the presets of the Pod is essential for me. Switching presets on Pod and afterwards switching the guitar model by hand takes to long time and is difficult on a dark stage.

Is anybody out there to help my 500 coexist with the Pod XT live???

• 2 months later...

I am having the exact same issue.  This is after about a year of not using either the Variax or PODxt.  I updated most of the software/drivers through monkey, which makes me wonder if it is a software issue. 

Variax works fine.

PODxt Live works fine.

Plug the variax in with VDI and the Pod freezes.  I can't change anything.  The Variax will still change voicings.

Keep the Variax plugged with VDI and reboot the POD....the POD won't even boot up properly, it freezes on the Line 6 logo page.

I unplug the VDI, Pod finishes booting up.  I am able to change settings and programs.

Plug into USB Variax interface, the guitar side just flashes red and neither Workbench nor Monkey will recognize the guitar. 

• 3 years later...
  • 9 months later...

Ive just bought a Variax 500 and i'm having the exact same issue with the XT live. works fine with the TRS cable and normal TS to the regular mono input but as soon as i try the VDI it freezes the pod XT. also a decimal point appears on the display (so 30A becomes 3.0A)

Has anyone figured out what this is? is it a dodgy input on the guitar?  The battery power is also not working.

• 2 years later...

My Variax 500 & POD XT Live have developed this same fault. 
I've owned them since new and neither have ever missed a beat before.

Never used batteries in the guitar, always powered via the POD XT Live.

I rarely used the TRS output, always the VDI. 

Now the XT Live won't start up or function when the variax is connected,

exactly as described in these posts. It has to be a known fault.
Can Line6 techs or other other users comment on what the issue is ?
I'm handy with a soldering iron to apply a fix.

Cheers,

Barry

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure what LED's you mean. 

When I connect the Variax 700 to VDI input, all LED's for any patch remain as they are

(mod, stomp etc) but freeze because the POD XT live ceases to switch anything.

Simultaneously, the channel memory display changes from (for example) 32A to 3.2A.

As soon as I connect the Variax :

- Line6 Edit cannot find the POD XT Live (removing the Variax, it works again)

- Line6 WorkBench cannot find the Variax

I don't know any way to connect a PC to the Variax other than the POD XT Live.

so I can no longer edit the guitar. Guitar works fine via 1/4 inch jack.

Powering up the POD XT Live with Variax connected, hangs the POD XT Live

with a corrupt logo screen, like it's failing to handshake with the guitar.

I suspect it's a known cause, probably in the guitar.

Others have reported this same fault. All insights welcome.  Cheers Barry

POD XT Live doesn't boot with Variax connected.jpg

POD XT Live freezes after Variax connected2.jpg

I know what this is. The scrambled screen has to do with contrast setting and old solder points.

And possible volt pull down at the VDI connector also old solder points. As for the foot switch LED

configuration,... if it won't switch and is frozen, that would be something else.

This need to be taken to a Line 6 authorized service center. The tech needs to contact me thru the tech email channel.

Take the 700 Electric, VDI cable, XT Live and PX-2 power supply in to them, so they can check the whole set-up.

Logitronics
37 Cunningham St
Northcote, 3070

03 9489 5881
martinh@logitronics.com.au

Technical Workshops
109 Commercial Rd
South Yarra, 3141

03 9866 6655
jeff@techshops.com.au

A Variax -to-USB interface would make connecting to Monkey and old Workbench much smoother

and give you an alternate option to connect with to a PC computer.

• 4 months later...