Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500X to DT25 connection ?

Hi,i'm reading my through the various topics on the DT25(my initial interest in L6),the HD500X & now the "Dream Rig",great name :)

I think this is a simple question,but i've not been able to find the answer(i'm sure it's here,but).

When connecting the 500X to the DT25 via the L6 link,what section of the DT25,is the 500X connecting to i.e. pre or power?

Thanks.

You control that from the POD. Basically you can control everything except the reverb via saved patches or by twiddling the knobs on the 500x.

I mostly use pre models in my patches but there are comments from peeps here who prefer to use full. I think it depends on what volume you are playing at and what sort of music. Obviously just use your ears and see what sounds best.

You will struggle to find another rig where you can go from strat through fender amp to 12 string chime to LP through some high gain monster at the press of a foot switch. And of course any sound in between.

Thanks Matt.i'm not sure i made myself clear,i'll ask it another way.

When a HD500X is connected to the DT25 via the L6 Link cable,does the 500X connect direct to the Power Amp section of the DT25?

Or does the 500X interact with the Pre-Amp section of the DT25.

The reason i'm asking this is to find out if the knob settings on the DT25 go out of sync with the indicated values on the knobs,i'm not sure this is clearer but here goes.

I'm not sure this is 100% accurate as Line 6 hasn't divulged much detailed info on the inner workings of the DT, but here is what another person posted in a thread.  Hope it helps.

As I understand it, here is the DT signal path

1.) standalone:

guitar -> DT preamp -> DT reverb -> DT fx loop -> DT poweramp  -> DT speaker

[+ transformer tapped output routed to DT mic model -> DT XLR out]

2.) linked HD500:

guitar ->HD500 pre-amp model-fx - > HD500 preamp/amp model -> HD500 'post' amp model FX -> HD500 fx loop -> L6Link-> DT reverb -> DT fx loop -> DT poweramp -> DT speaker

[+ transformer tapped output routed to DT mic model -> DT XLR out]

I base the assumption that the DT reverb occurs before the DT fx loop because of how my noise gate interacts negatively with it. Will also test that , by recording that 1/4" out, might as well!

Correct. Except that if you change a knob on the HD, the effect will be transferred, but the actual knob positions on the DT will remain stationary.  Otherwise, the changes are bidirectional.

Thanks,moogary.your reply leads me to what may be my last question on a DT/500X combination.

I hope the answer to this is obvious,but i have to ask,if the 500X eq,gain parameters are changed when connected to the HD,if the 500X is unplugged,does the HD retain the modified settings,hence the controls(knobs)are out of sync?or does it retain the settings as shown by the knob positions on the panel.

Hope i've made myself clear :)

It only retains settings if you save them to the patch. The knobs are generally in sync - as I'm a bit ocd I tend to have them at 12:00! - and only show their true value in the POD screen, momentarily, when you turn a knob. A black dot shows the current saved value and a line shows what you have twiddled it to.

It works quite well when you get over not seeing the exact setting as you can twiddle all you like and either save the patch if you like the new sound or just re load the patch to Fi back to how it was before you played with it. Hard to do that with a 'normal' amp.

Hope this helps!

Hi,Matt.Thanks again,so when the the 500 is linked to the DT(via digi Link),is the audio bypassing the DT pre,but the control of the 500 affecting the DT,pre?.

Sorry if i'm being a bit dim,but what i'm trying to get at is if a setting/patch is stored in the 500X,does that setting transfer to the DT control panel,or is it only stored in the 500?,leaving the DT control panel unaffected by the changes made in the 500.

I'm sorry to bang on about this,but i have used a friends Mustang III,& the way the controls go out of sync with the actual stored values when a different patch is selected,drives me up the wall.

I think you would have to see a schematic to be sure how the connection is made.

As for the settings the knobs on the DT never move - I set those at 12:00 too! As far as I am aware the settings are held in the pod, even though you can over ride these with the DT. Unless you save them to a patch the pod will re load the last saved settings after power down.

I'm not familiar with the Mustang but do find the 500x/DT set up very easy despite being 'old', once you get used to the idea that the knobs do not necessarily reflect the current settings. You have all the control you need....