Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New 1.06.5 firmware update questions?

HonestOpinion

The firmware instructions actually do say to backup your presets and IRs under the "Resetting Helix Globals / Loading the Newest Factory Presets" section..

I do understand why backing up is important in case something goes wrong. I just don't see why there's a need to do a global reset and have to restore patches and re-set any global settings (which I assume are not backed up).

Seems like extra steps that serve no purpose

I do understand why backing up is important in case something goes wrong. I just don't see why there's a need to do a global reset and have to restore patches and re-set any global settings (which I assume are not backed up).

Seems like extra steps that serve no purpose

I also don't understand the purpose and have asked for clarification on each firmware release whether to run this process and been advised to run it.  I also think there should be a global settings backup procedure on the Helix App.

I also don't understand the purpose and have asked for clarification on each firmware release whether to run this process and been advised to run it.  I also think there should be a global settings backup procedure on the Helix App.

The purpose of backing up things?

Wait and you'll see ;)

I lost my stuff  too often - and I won't trust any 'automatical' routine

(same with operation systems like Windows or [...] - don't be 'starry-eyed'  :rolleyes: ).

Wait and you'll see ;)

I lost my stuff too often - and I won't trust any 'automatical' routine

(same with operation systems like Windows or [...] - don't be 'starry-eyed' :rolleyes: ).

No we're questioning the firmware update procedure people are suggesting (which is not mentioned in the firmware upgrade notes) - which includes doing a full global reset. This makes no sense to me.

• Upvote 1

Wait and you'll see ;)

I lost my stuff  too often - and I won't trust any 'automatical' routine

(same with operation systems like Windows or [...] - don't be 'starry-eyed'  :rolleyes: ).

I am definitely not questioning the purpose of backing things up. Not only do I make sure I backup everything before an update but I do it twice in case I screwed anything up in the process or one of my backups turns out to be corrupt  :huh:

This is a really good point to bring up. A bundle seems to includes a backup of ALL presets on the Helix, factory, user, and template.  If you want to restore a bundle from an old firmware version, that means any tweaks, additions, or changes to the factory presets in the new firmware will be overwritten. It is a bad plan to restore bundles from old firmware versions. Instead, you want to save your customized presets to the User lists, back them up before a firmware update using the "Export Setlist" function, and then restore them using the "Import Setlist" function to a User list after your firmware upgrade.

Thanks you for the help , so basically need to save/export the presets individually and then after the update import them back to the user list again! 

Thanks you for the help , so basically need to save/export the presets individually and then after the update import them back to the user list again! 

It is always a good idea to backup presets individually, at least the ones you love, in case you end up with a bad export from a setlist (backup twice). However, I find that exporting using the "Export Setlist" link from the Helix App is much more efficient and less time consuming than trying to restore my presets one by one. That is why I keep all my customized presets in the User lists instead of the Factory lists. I never overwrite the Factory lists after an update, only the User lists. I restore/import my exported/saved "Setlists" to a User list using the "Import Setlist" link, which overwrites only the list you have selected from the pulldown menu's entire contents and loads all of my saved presets at one time. Just be careful to select the User list you want to load to in the Helix app before you run an "Import Setlist" or you may end up overwriting a Factory list. Exporting/Importing Setlists is the best way to easily restore your custom presets that I am aware of.

I guess the important distinction to keep in mind is the following, this Helix App behavior is what currently dictates what list I keep my presets in and how I do backups and restores :

1. "Import Bundle" overwrites all lists (Factory, User, and I believe Templates as well)
  2. "Import Setlist" overwrites only the list selected in the Helix App's pulldown menu.
  3. Using the "Import" link overwrites whatever single preset you have selected in the Helix app.

Note: Remember that you can also backup of all your presets individually at once by highlighting them all and hitting the "Export" link.

It is always a good idea to backup presets individually, at least the ones you love, in case you end up with a bad export from a setlist (backup twice). However, I find that exporting using the "Export Setlist" link from the Helix App is much more efficient and less time consuming than trying to restore my presets one by one. That is why I keep all my customized presets in the User lists instead of the Factory lists. I never overwrite the Factory lists after an update, only the User lists. I restore/import my exported/saved "Setlists" to a User list using the "Import Setlist" link, which overwrites only the list you have selected from the pulldown menu's entire contents and loads all of my saved presets at one time. Just be careful to select the User list you want to load to in the Helix app before you run an "Import Setlist" or you may end up overwriting a Factory list. Exporting/Importing Setlists is the best way to easily restore your custom presets that I am aware of.

I guess the important distinction to keep in mind is the following, this Helix App behavior is what currently dictates what list I keep my presets in and how I do backups and restores :

1. "Import Bundle" overwrites all lists (Factory, User, and I believe Templates as well)
  2. "Import Setlist" overwrites only the list selected in the Helix App's pulldown menu.
  3. Using the "Import" link overwrites whatever single preset you have selected in the Helix app.

Note: Remember that you can also backup of all your presets individually at once by highlighting them all and hitting the "Export" link.

Ahh got it, thank you for your help makes things much easier ( hopefully)...  ;)

At the moment I use my own presets exclusively for gigs but I use the factory presets for reference and I imagine a few of them will make it into my sets at some point, modified no doubt.

Very seldom and on,y to build on like HonestOpinion stated. And until I rad a few threads I didn't realize that after I did my resets I was restoring the old presets back unchanged. :(