Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Best set-up using POD HD500, BassPod & Windows 10

Hi there,

I am a guitarist who accidentally also plays bass (or at least tries to). I've got a POD HD500, which I also use as the audio device for my Windows 10 computer. I also have a Bass Pod XT, and my DAW is Cubase 8.5.

I'm wondering what's the best way to set this all up. So far I've plugged my bass guitar into the Bass POD, which I connected to the POD HD500 (simply DI Out to Guitar In), which then goes to the computer via USB. That doesn't work very well. First of all, you always have to select a preset (or at least something) to get the bass sound through the HD500, so you get double processing - from the Bass POD and the HD500. I'd like it to be just the sound from the Bass POD (as it's meant for bass, and the HD500 is a guitar-thing). The way I do it now, leads to a very easily distorted and kinda 'light' bass sound - not what you want from a bass guitar.

Until now I haven't hooked up the Bass POD via USB to the computer, because I'm afraid this will lead to a (driver) conflict: I use the HD500 also as my general computer audio driver. So how can I tell Cubase that for this particular track (the bass track that I want to record), it needs to use a different USB-driver?

I've also tried to plug the bass straight into the HD500, but as I said: it's a guitar thing, it just doesn't sound right for bass. Or are there special presets for bass I just didn't find yet? Also, I've noticed that you can buy special bass stuff - I'm  just not sure if they are suitable for my HD500 and my needs.

So, what should I do? Bass POD by USB? Buy the bass stuff for the HD500 and get rid of my Bass POD? What will give me the best and easiest results? Every suggestion is more than welcome! 

All the best, keep rocking,

Bas, Amsterdam

One solution is to get a mixer, doesn't have to be anything fancy.

Run your analog outs from both PODs to your mixer and the mixer out to your monitoring solution.

Then in Cubase select which device you want to record with, that device will also become your computer's audio interface.

Also, I've noticed that you can buy special bass stuff - I'm  just not sure if they are suitable for my HD500 and my needs.

So, what should I do? Bass POD by USB? Buy the bass stuff for the HD500 and get rid of my Bass POD? 

Buy the bass-stuff and try the bass-stuff. I´m really sure you can return the licence if it does not fit your needs.

• Upvote 1

Buy the bass-stuff and try the bass-stuff. I´m really sure you can return the licence if it does not fit your needs.

You have 30 days to return it.

Your Bass PODxt has more models, although they're not HD models you may like some of the xt models more.

btw... don't be careful with those bass accidents!!