Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

OK, I had to share this and show off a little

hideout

Hey, Boys and Girls. This is only for those who are handy with a soldering iron.

So, I decided to take advantage of the Helix's IEC power connection and power the Helix as well as my RC-20XL looper with one IEC cable.

I bought the following items to make it happen;

1) a 9V switch mode power supply 

2) Barrel Connectors - 5.5 O.D./2.1 I.D.

3) an IEC "Y" Adapter

•Important•  With this power supply you'll have to reverse the polarity so that its output is Tip Negative.

You can do the same thing for your pedalboard if its power supply uses an IEC connector.

Here's the end result.

post-70733-0-71216800-1459016376_thumb.jpgpost-70733-0-68158600-1459016356_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Interesting you use an external looper pedal when the Helix already contains a looper. But its too darned limiting so I just use it for setup testing. I use an external Boomerang III looper with mine because it allows 2 synched loops.

I do wish a Helix update would permit more loop capabilities; especially a second loop option. Sixty seconds would be plenty.

No just the brick a female plug negative center.

Well then it won't be much different from just using any old adapter. The idea is to have fewer cables coming from the power strip.

Great Idea. I wonder if there's a "9V switch mode power supply" that already have the negative center so we don't have to solder anything 

Yeah but then you'll have all this extra cable that you'll have to coil up coming from the 9v adapter.  Even if the polarity was correct, I would have cut it off  to keep the cable lengths at an absolute minimum and keep things tidy... which is why I did it in the first place.

A little O.T. but I really think that every guitar player. bassist, keyboardist, would do themselves a lot of good if they learned some super basic electronics and learned how to use a soldering iron. You should at least learn to fix or even make your own cables.

Interesting you use an external looper pedal when the Helix already contains a looper. But its too darned limiting so I just use it for setup testing. I use an external Boomerang III looper with mine because it allows 2 synched loops.

I do wish a Helix update would permit more loop capabilities; especially a second loop option. Sixty seconds would be plenty.

60 seconds is not nearly long enough for me.  I do a verse, chorus, verse, chorus and sometimes a bridge while I'm singing and then start the loop to solo over.

...so Helix more-looper-stuff features could accommodate enough loop time for your hungry needs, but more Mb for loops might limit Mb for memory-intensive Blocks (e.g. IR etc). There's a lot of onboard memory in the box. I'm just sayin' it would sure be nice if a future upgrade would allow more looper features for us loopers. I've already sold off a bunch of my stompboxes that the Helix replaces, but I can't let go of my looper pedal yet.

Nice power Y, by the way....

• Upvote 1