Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Running Helix live to an amp and direct to PA at the same time

guitarbro96

Hey guys, I just got my helix a few days ago and I love it. I was wondering how I could run the helix direct with cab simulation to the PA system and at the same time run it into my tube amp's effect's return without cab simulation. I honestly prefer the sound of helix running through my amp, probably because of the tube power amp and cab,so I might just run it into the amp and then mic the amp up, but I'd still like to know how to do this.

• Upvote 1

Put cab block at the end of chain and pull the cab down to create a split then pull the merge down. Then set outputs, without cab 1/4, with cab XLR. Then you can set the master volume knob to 1/4 only so PA stays the same.

• Upvote 2

You can do this.

I wouldn't. 

here's why.

Love your audience. 

If you hear something totally different on stage from what they hear out there, you have little to no control about how good your amp sounds to the audience.

so...

either run through the guitar cabinet and mike it, or craft sounds that sound good to you through an FRFR.

imho, ymmv, yadda yadda yadda...

• Upvote 1

...and what Peter said,  set primary tone to suit audiance thrugh PA, then set your amp to sound good to you, using amp controls.  I used to try to do this, but now I use only FR speakers.  TS110A's.  ALTO is/was blowing them out on ebay for 309 a pair.  Even the Atlos are not truly FRFR, but close

I hate FRFR, it's just not for me, whether I've used an Axe 2, a Kemper or a Helix I'm always running a direct signal with IR's going to FOH and the raw guitar sound going through a guitar cab onstage

This is not a big deal and I respectfully disagree with most of the opinions posted above

here is a thread I started about it -  http://line6.com/support/topic/19805-helix-to-poweramp-cab-and-helix-to-foh-easiest-way-to-make-this-happen/

I also have detailed pics of the process if you like... just hit me at tvegas99@msn.com

I also respectfully disagree with the caveat if you are changing amp and cab models a lot then Peters advice is bob on

If you use one core amp and cab then as long as your FOH sound is equitable to your onstage sound then it is whatever suits you best

I use 2 Fryette Powerstations into 2 Orange 1x12s for my onstage rig

And XLRs into the FOH. I just like the way the valve amps react under the fingers and the drummer and bassist prefer them too

The audience are used to hearing mixed up guitars so it makes no difference to them

The good thing about Helix is it gives everyone the option to run the way they like