Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Live-- Sort of.....

bubba871x

So we played a gig for around 500 people this weekend. Set up my normal stage rig, EVH 5150 III S going into an Avatar 4X12 cab with my basic pedals. Right next to it I set up my Helix going into my new Mission Engineering Gemini 2.  I was too afraid to go just Helix on such an important gig and I have not had it long but I did have 4 patches set to go. I used the Helix with Glenn DeLaune's early VH patch I bought for Dance the Night Away and Eruption/Aint Talk About Love.  It blew the audience away. I had people come up to me during the break and say it sounded like they were at a Van Halen concert. My 5150 III also sounds good but I could never get that total stereo effect like they did with the original album. Then I used Glenn's the Nudge patch for Stranglehold. OMG!  I got goosebumps because it was like my guitar was possessed with uncle Ted's vibe. The lead sounded exactly like the album thanks to the patch. So for the whole set list of 30 songs I only used the helix for 4 this time but very good results.  Of course for the grand finale we closed with Enter Sandman and used my 5153 Stealth on channel 3 with some delay....  left the stage smoking! 

Special Thanks to Glenn and Line 6. Helix rocks.

• Upvote 1

Had the same reaction from my band at rehearsal the other night. 24 songs, 24 patches, all programmed to sound similar to the original, all using snapshots. They were in awe of the flexibility and tone. We had a 'moment' when we finished Zombie by the Cranberries. The intro clean/chorus, the heavy rhythm, and lead sounds all in one patch with 3 switches left everyone gob-smacked.  Then I push one switch and have a Rolling Stones Gimme Shelter sound! Another switch and I'm ACDC.....so good, so good.....

First Gig tonight with the Helix ...time for the real deal!

Had the same reaction from my band at rehearsal the other night. 24 songs, 24 patches, all programmed to sound similar to the original, all using snapshots. They were in awe of the flexibility and tone. We had a 'moment' when we finished Zombie by the Cranberries. The intro clean/chorus, the heavy rhythm, and lead sounds all in one patch with 3 switches left everyone gob-smacked.  Then I push one switch and have a Rolling Stones Gimme Shelter sound! Another switch and I'm ACDC.....so good, so good.....

First Gig tonight with the Helix ...time for the real deal!

Sweet. We do Zombie as well and I just finished a snapshot for it.  Good luck and blow their ears out!

So we played a gig for around 500 people this weekend. Set up my normal stage rig, EVH 5150 III S going into an Avatar 4X12 cab with my basic pedals. Right next to it I set up my Helix going into my new Mission Engineering Gemini 2.  I was too afraid to go just Helix on such an important gig and I have not had it long but I did have 4 patches set to go. I used the Helix with Glenn DeLaune's early VH patch I bought for Dance the Night Away and Eruption/Aint Talk About Love.  It blew the audience away. I had people come up to me during the break and say it sounded like they were at a Van Halen concert. My 5150 III also sounds good but I could never get that total stereo effect like they did with the original album. Then I used Glenn's the Nudge patch for Stranglehold. OMG!  I got goosebumps because it was like my guitar was possessed with uncle Ted's vibe. The lead sounded exactly like the album thanks to the patch. So for the whole set list of 30 songs I only used the helix for 4 this time but very good results.  Of course for the grand finale we closed with Enter Sandman and used my 5153 Stealth on channel 3 with some delay....  left the stage smoking! 

Special Thanks to Glenn and Line 6. Helix rocks.

Some great material, old Van Halen, their best stuff, not to speak of that crazy bastid Nugent's magnum opus.