Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Weird Noise while changing Snapshots with different parameter settings for Delay Pedal.

kartikvai_15

HI Guys,

I am not sure if anyone has experiences this issue or this has been discussed before already.

I use different time (ms) setting for delay pedal block for my clean sounds and solo sounds.

The problem is that when I change from snapshot from my solo sound to the clean sound, there is this weird sound in between for a sec which is annoying. I guess its the sound when you manually turn the time parameter on any delay pedal while playing and it does this weird swoopy kinda sound with time setting changing on the pedal if that makes sense. 

The question is that if this is avoidable using snapshots by any chance?

The only benefit that I can think of using snapshots over using helix in pedal mode is that you can actually use the same block with different parameter settings for different sounds. Pedal mode lets you change the on and off state of any block already so obviously the only difference is that with snapshots you can change the the parameter setting of the same block as well, right?

My problem is that with all sounds I use, Delay pedal block is the main one that I need with different settings, all other pedal blocks I use are typical just on and off in the same settings for different patches. So if changing shanpshots with using the same delay block gives you this weird sound in between then it defeats the purpose of having snapshots for me at least.

Some people might suggest to use different delay blocks for different patches and thats what I am doing right now but doing that I don't see any advantage over using snapshots over pedal mode though.

If there is something I am missing on here, then any help would be great :)

cheers

I have this problem as well.  My first thought was that I would have to turn off "trails" for delays and reverbs - which I thought was unfortunate.  Turns out that didn't work anyway.  I'm looking forward to hearing experiences of others as well on this subject.  And, of course, hopefully some answers.

Seems inherent to me. Rapid changes to delay time when there's already signal in the buffer have to cause pitch changes. What else could happen?

That's not really a snapshot thing. You get the same result changing delay time directly with a footswitch or pedal, or setting it in musical divisions and using the Tap switch to change the tempo.

If it bothers you enough in your context, using two delay blocks and alternating them might be your best shot.

That's not really a snapshot thing. You get the same result changing delay time directly with a footswitch or pedal, or setting it in musical divisions and using the Tap switch to change the tempo.

If it bothers you enough in your context, using two delay blocks and alternating them might be your best shot.

^^ this. If you tried the same thing with a physical delay pedal it would create a weird sound as is modelled perfectly by Helix.

Not sure how DSP heavy or complex your patch is but the easiest way is to run 2 delays in parallel and have the input (split A/B type) switching between delay pedals (and turning the unused pedal off obviously) whilst still being able to have trails on.

Having the pedals in series may cause issues with trails feeding the latter pedal.

Sorry if this was maybe already obvious to you but people have different experience levels.

The "Tap Tempo Pitch" setting under Global Settings > Preferences will change this behavior. If you set it to "Transparent" instead of "Accurate", you won't get the artifacts.

Thanks a lot Phil, I will try this and see what happens and if it solves the problem :)

Thanks everyone for the replies.

JLondon:  That was the first thing I tried as well and turned off the trails but thats not solving the problem as you have discovered as well Ha.

Zooey and Steevo: Thanks for your input as well. I am already using two delay blocks as you both suggested and I totally get why this is happening as this is exactly what would happen with any delay pedal if I changed the time settings on it. Seeing this is Helix and it can do a lot more things that no other pedal can, I was just being hopeful to see if there was a solution by any chance. Phil has suggest changing that setting in Global settings so I will try that and hopefully that takes care of this.

To be really honest it's not a big deal and I can always keep using two delay blocks but for this one song on my set list, I have a lot of different sounds going on and I'm running out of DSP for this one particular patch, so would be nice to be able to use just one delay block you know.

thanks anyways :)

• Upvote 1