Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Grounding Issue M13

squirrel211

I have used my M13 at shows now for about 3-4 years (I can't really remember which year I got it!), without issue.  Then on Saturday, with the exact same setup as I have used in the previous 200 shows, I was wickedly shocked by my vocal mic!!!

I trouble shot the rig, and it turns out, my M13 is the problem.

I am still using the power supply that came in the box with the pedal.

Please help.  I have shows coming up in a couple of days, and can't afford to spend weeks messing around returning purchases, taking the pedal to dealers, etc...  Any ideas?  Please HELP.

I have used my M13 at shows now for about 3-4 years (I can't really remember which year I got it!), without issue.  Then on Saturday, with the exact same setup as I have used in the previous 200 shows, I was wickedly shocked by my vocal mic!!!

I trouble shot the rig, and it turns out, my M13 is the problem.

I am still using the power supply that came in the box with the pedal.

Please help.  I have shows coming up in a couple of days, and can't afford to spend weeks messing around returning purchases, taking the pedal to dealers, etc...  Any ideas?  Please HELP.

How exactly did you come to the conclusion that the M13 was the problem? Usually these sorts of issues are related to guitar amps or PA systems not having the proper grounding.

How exactly did you come to the conclusion that the M13 was the problem? Usually these sorts of issues are related to guitar amps or PA systems not having the proper grounding.

When I unplugged it from my rig, I didn't get shocked any more.  I tested everything, pedals, tried a different amp, mic cords, patch cords, 1/4" cables, changed outlets.  It was definitely the M13.

Ground loops don't occur with isolated devices, they occur when multiple

devices are connected in a way where two ground points create a voltage potential.

phil_m is correct. There is also the venue's electrical set-up to consider.

When it comes to a ground loop, it could be anything in the signal chain.

Something is different in the way thing were connected that time compared

to prior times.

Ground loops don't occur with isolated devices, they occur when multiple

devices are connected in a way where two ground points create a voltage potential.

phil_m is correct. There is also the venue's electrical set-up to consider.

When it comes to a ground loop, it could be anything in the signal chain.

Something is different in the way thing were connected that time compared

to prior times.

That's just it, I have played this venue about 40 times, with the exact same set up.  When I unplugged the M13, I didn't get shocked anymore. 

My rig is:

Guitar

Budda Wah

Fulltone Plimsoul

Menatone Red Snapper

Amp (Tone King Royalist)

The amp goes into a Tone King Ironman Mini Pedal

M13 goes into the amp's effects loop

All gear is plugged into my powerstrip.

Removing any of the other gear from the circuit/signal path didn't fix the problem.  Since the problem was fixed with the M13 being removed, I am assuming the M13 is the problem.