Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix as a MIDI Controller Engl Head

GenotypeX

Greeting fellow Helix'ians,  :D

Sorry if this is a noob question but i'm completely confused  :(

I have an Engl PowerbaII II, Is it possible to use the Helix as a midi controller for my new cherished amp head or am I eternally doomed to purchase the overpriced z-9 controller from Engl and clutter my work space even more?

I would love to use the Helix to control everything, or am I dreaming  :(

As far as I can tell the PBII has a 1/4 foot switch jack to control the various MIDI functions? Even just changing channels with the Helix would suffice for now.

Is this below the answer I'm looking for? :wacko:

http://www.voodoolab.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=640

Apologies again, I get a bit lost when it comes to MIDI connectivity.

Your Amp does not have midi (from my brief look online) so midi won't do it.

But you can set up footswitch or patch/snapshot amp channel control.

Read this discussion - complete with mistakes and all the usual stuff!!

http://line6.com/support/topic/18353-external-amp-switch-doesnt-work-help/

Should have you getting your head round it - you also need to look at your amp manual for the wiring of plugs that can communicate these amp change signals.

This topic might drive you to an amp tech!

• Upvote 1

Your Amp does not have midi (from my brief look online) so midi won't do it.

But you can set up footswitch or patch/snapshot amp channel control.

Read this discussion - complete with mistakes and all the usual stuff!!

http://line6.com/support/topic/18353-external-amp-switch-doesnt-work-help/

Should have you getting your head round it - you also need to look at your amp manual for the wiring of plugs that can communicate these amp change signals.

This topic might drive you to an amp tech!

Aw much appreciated thank you :) I thought this might be the case with non MIDI capable heads. Hopefully I can work something out for the info you have given, Thank you! :D

Aw much appreciated thank you :) I thought this might be the case with non MIDI capable heads. Hopefully I can work something out for the info you have given, Thank you! :D

From page 23 of the Engl PB2 manual, it looks like you may be able to run a stereo 1/4" cable from Helix's Ext Amp to the 1/4" stereo Engl Channel Up/Down 1/2 - 3/4 jack and at least control the amp channels.  

http://www.engl-amps.com/cms/uploads/tx_ddfproducts/E645-2-OM.pdf

• Upvote 1

From page 23 of the Engl PB2 manual, it looks like you may be able to run a stereo 1/4" cable from Helix's Ext Amp to the 1/4" stereo Engl Channel Up/Down 1/2 - 3/4 jack and at least control the amp channels.  

http://www.engl-amps.com/cms/uploads/tx_ddfproducts/E645-2-OM.pdf

Hey thank you very much for clarifying that from me, at least controlling the channels is something, I will try this out soon :)

I have a powerball 2 and have I used the 4 cable method with an additions trs stereo cable to handle the 4 channels.  I did notice that the amp tends to run a little hot in temperature when connected this way.  let me know if you find the same.  in the meantime I have been using the onboard models and going straight into the effects return. I can tweak the helix angel model to sound fairly close to the powerball 2 on channel 3 and the other built in models are so good I don't really even miss the regular engl sounds. plus only one cable!

• Upvote 2

I have a powerball 2 and have I used the 4 cable method with an additions trs stereo cable to handle the 4 channels.  I did notice that the amp tends to run a little hot in temperature when connected this way.  let me know if you find the same.  in the meantime I have been using the onboard models and going straight into the effects return. I can tweak the helix angel model to sound fairly close to the powerball 2 on channel 3 and the other built in models are so good I don't really even miss the regular engl sounds. plus only one cable!

Excellent info thanks Johnny Rokstar, so funny how current amp modelling tech is surpassing our wonderful equipment. Hopefully I will still find details in the valves I still enjoy just as much. :)

Excellent info thanks Johnny Rokstar, so funny how current amp modelling tech is surpassing our wonderful equipment. Hopefully I will still find details in the valves I still enjoy just as much. :)

Ha yeah, I'm not gonna get rid of my older kids (tube amps) just because my youngest kid (Helix) is a rocket scientist ;)

• Upvote 1

you are welcome.  speaking of my rig...I have a 4x12 with vintage 30s (not engl..but has a metal grill) in which I installed led tape lights.  the tape lights are wired for dmx control.  using an American dj dmx operator controller with midi capabilities, I was able to connect my helix up via midi.  once I upgraded to helix software 2.0 I used snapshots to send midi commands to the American dj controller to trigger lighting scenes and now have different color lights for my crunch (red), clean (blue), and 6 lead variations including octave, autofilter, phase, flange, univibe, and whammy....all with their own color scene on the cab.  I made a frame that fits just inside the engl head behind the grill that is lined with the same led tape so inside the head changes color as well.  how cool is all that????  I love the helix!!!

you are welcome.  speaking of my rig...I have a 4x12 with vintage 30s (not engl..but has a metal grill) in which I installed led tape lights.  the tape lights are wired for dmx control.  using an American dj dmx operator controller with midi capabilities, I was able to connect my helix up via midi.  once I upgraded to helix software 2.0 I used snapshots to send midi commands to the American dj controller to trigger lighting scenes and now have different color lights for my crunch (red), clean (blue), and 6 lead variations including octave, autofilter, phase, flange, univibe, and whammy....all with their own color scene on the cab.  I made a frame that fits just inside the engl head behind the grill that is lined with the same led tape so inside the head changes color as well.  how cool is all that????  I love the helix!!!

Dude are you serious?! That's amazing! I would throw money at you for something like that. Quickly before somebody else steals it and sells it to the music stores, if it hasnt already been done! :D

This doesn't help your concerns over cost at all (sorry) but I wanted to mention another option:

ENGL also makes the Z11 midi switcher which can be configured to control 1/4" footswitch type amp features.

This might be of some use for anyone trying to use midi to control an amp that doesn't have midi implemented.  I can't speak to its ease of use at all but it seems like it could do quite a bit.  And seems like it would also let Helix (or any midi footswitch) control a bunch of different amps out there.

http://www.engl-amps.com/cms/uploads/tx_ddfproducts/Z11-OM-S.A.C.pdf

before you go with the voodoo midi switcher for all the amp functions, I thought I might add one more thing. I am using midi note messages from the helix to control my lights.  I am able to send a different midi note for each snapshot.  i'm not sure, but I don't think you can send program change messages on a per snapshot basis, but you can send them per preset.  if the switcher responds to program change only that would mean you wont be able to change amp channels per snapshot. I believe it IS possible, however, to send CC value changes.  therefor, in order to get snapshot control of amp channels, you might need a switcher that responds to cc msgs.  anyone else know more about this? I barely had enough midi knowledge to get my lights working correctly.

btw thanks for the feedback on my rig...I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

• 4 years later...

Hola! Tengo un problema parecido , pero uso el pod hd500x y un engl invader, 

Conecto el midi in del amplificador al pod, configuro omni en el pod, y cambia de canal, es decir se comunica bien, puedo cambiar preset de variax, preset de efectos por fxloop, y canal de ampli con sus ganancias, noise gate, volumen A/B, etc . 

mi problema es que al conectar el cable de guitarra hace mucho ruido , como fuegos artificiales, y solo desaparece si quito el midi, lo que me impide cambiar de canal del engl, aunque si usar el FX loop ,

Si hago sin el método de los 4 cables, me pasa que con el inalámbrico de la guitarra va bien, pero en cuanto pongo cable en lugar de inalámbrico mete ruido de nuevo, hasta que desconecte el midi out del pod.. no entiendo que pasa que tiene de distinto el cable del inalámbrico?...

Al final resumiendo puedo usar el pod bien siempre que use la z15 para cambiar de canal.  Pero quiero todo desde uno, que ya e visto que se puede, pero me lo impide el ruido .

Tengo que dar con el que se comunique bien vía midi y listo

Me podéis dar alguna sugerencia?

Cambio el omni del pod por un canal concreto?

Toda opinión o crítica es bien recibida.