Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pitch shifter on 1 (low E) string?

CBTL

Hi guys, can I assign a pitch shifter to one string only with my variax? I'm not talking about altering the tuning in the the input block either.

Basically i want to to set up a Nashville style tuned acoustic. Iv raised all the necessary strings +12 in the input block but the low E needs to go up another octive! Can it be done?

It should work if you use pitch shifter to raise everything by an octave, then use the Variax tunings on the input block to lower the first two strings (E and B ) by an octave which will return them to the their original pitch, and also raise the low E string by an octave which would leave that sounding two octaves higher than it originally does. Not sure how effective it will sound but the pitches should be what you need.

• Upvote 1

Hi guys, can I assign a pitch shifter to one string only with my variax? I'm not talking about altering the tuning in the the input block either.

Basically i want to to set up a Nashville style tuned acoustic. Iv raised all the necessary strings +12 in the input block but the low E needs to go up another octive! Can it be done?

Hi CBTL,

Sounds like a sorta curious way to approach the High Strung Tuning (Nashville) sound, by shifting everything on the input block and then using another pitch module block. Why don't you create your octave above custom tuning in Workbench and do the single E string shift on the Helix input. Possibly could be less of a "warble" in the sound than using just the pitch shifter effect.

Try it and let us know if it works.

EDIT: You could simply just do an octave shift on your first string using Workbench the move everything up an octave on the Helix Input - same result?

Hi CBTL,

Sounds like a sorta curious way to approach the High Strung Tuning (Nashville) sound, by shifting everything on the input block and then using another pitch module block. Why don't you create your octave above custom tuning in Workbench and do the single E string shift on the Helix input. Possibly could be less of a "warble" in the sound than using just the pitch shifter effect.

Try it and let us know if it works.

EDIT: You could simply just do an octave shift on your first string using Workbench the move everything up an octave on the Helix Input - same result?

That would undoubtedly be the best way to go about it but have no way of using workbench with the lack of intervention from helix. I'm praying that they sort it out on the next update!

You can change the string pitch parameters of the JTV's per helix preset. I have several set up for drop D, drop Db, half step and full step down. It's not necessary to set up a special custom tuning model with Work Bench, unless you have a first generation Variax like my 300.

I want Line 6 to get off the dime and get Work Bench going with the Helix, but in this case, you would not need WB for pitch change. Just set it up in a Helix preset.

Dave

I'm praying that they sort it out on the next update!

Amen to that! Although I am surprised that you cannot communicate the necessary edits to your Variax directly from WorkBench then hook up to Helix for the final effect. I guess you must be missing that plastic hub thing? Mine has to communicate via the old POD HD500

You can change the string pitch parameters of the JTV's per helix preset. I have several set up for drop D, drop Db, half step and full step down. It's not necessary to set up a special custom tuning model with Work Bench, unless you have a first generation Variax like my 300.

I want Line 6 to get off the dime and get Work Bench going with the Helix, but in this case, you would not need WB for pitch change. Just set it up in a Helix preset.

Dave

Dave,

You right about the ability set up, and to have the tuning altered on a newer model Variax from within the Helix input blocks for a whole range of options - my old 700 is a bit hit and miss about some changes. In fact it should not work at all ...although somethings do function!

What you mentioned would cover all the open and modal stuff, cross note, sawmill, Hawaiian or whatever, (so Stefan Grossman or Duck Baker should be OK), but the thing about this particular tuning is that in the real world the low E, A, D and G strings are swapped for the lighter versions from a 12 string set, ie: tuned one octave higher than normal. In this case I think what the OP is trying to achieve is the well known trick that Dave Gilmour used on the track, "Hey You" (The Wall Album), where he actually replaced the low E string with a second high E (not a 12-string set low E octave) such that it was actually tuned two octaves up (ouch!). It's the 2 octave shift on that string that is the problem here. I don't see a way of doing it directly on the input blocks as it seems they are tied to a + or -12 semitone shift. Unless I missed something?

Yup, covered that caveat, said would not work on my first generation 300. I'm guessing when they get WB working with the Helix, it'll be the hd version, not the version for the first generation Variax. I was disappointed with that when they finally got it going on the HD500X. The HD500 works with either, which is why I still have the 500 & the 500X. Don't like it, but there it is. My Variax 300 sits. The JTV's are so much better, though so it's not a big deal to me. The 300 was my entry point to the Variax world, and I was buying regular guitars again, until the JTV came out. I have the 59 & the 69S, gig with them all the time. Was only trying to point out another possibility. Don't recall what the op had. Just checked and he didn't specify first generation, JTV, or standard.

Dave

I have a JTV 69s! It's a fantastic guitar but at the moment I feel completely ham strung by line6. Helix should of had intergration with workbench from the off. Data commando is right, I'm trying to recreate Gilmours high strung acoustic for the likes of hey you! I can always use the 1st E, it just makes the picking patterns a bit awkward. I need to see if i can locate that little grey hub thing where you need 10 cables to hook it up.

Yup, covered that caveat, said would not work on my first generation 300. I'm guessing when they get WB working with the Helix, it'll be the hd version, not the version for the first generation Variax. I was disappointed with that when they finally got it going on the HD500X. The HD500 works with either, which is why I still have the 500 & the 500X. Don't like it, but there it is. My Variax 300 sits. The JTV's are so much better, though so it's not a big deal to me. The 300 was my entry point to the Variax world, and I was buying regular guitars again, until the JTV came out. I have the 59 & the 69S, gig with them all the time. Was only trying to point out another possibility. Don't recall what the op had. Just checked and he didn't specify first generation, JTV, or standard.

Dave

I have a JTV 69s! It's a fantastic guitar but at the moment I feel completely ham strung by line6. Helix should of had intergration with workbench from the off. Data commando is right, I'm trying to recreate Gilmours high strung acoustic for the likes of hey you! I can always use the 1st E, it just makes the picking patterns a bit awkward. I need to see if i can locate that little grey hub thing where you need 10 cables to hook it up.

Hi Dave and CBTL

So guys, it looks like we are agreed that this a fairly important issue that needs to be addressed.

Even Line 6 Product Manager, Digital Igloo, (hi, Eric), agreed with this way back in Feb 2016 when he commented on my Ideascale request for the Workbench integration feature.

Helix to Variax USB communication feature

QUOTE: "No, you're right. Helix doesn't currently allow Variax to communicate with Variax Workbench software via USB. It's something we'd really like to add."

Please note, several other people have also requested this in other Ideascale slots, one from almost a year ago has over 160 votes and the idea is currently listed as "in review".

Let's hope we see it in a update in the very near future, unless everyone has been sidetracked and too busy with the new Spider V launch!  :P

Got it working! Unfortunately the low E tuned up 2 x octaves is a bit too much for the system to get its head around! It sounds like a duck on helium

Glad to hear you got it working, but not glad to hear you're suffering the duck effect.

I sort of suspected 2 octaves would push it beyond the usual "demented pitch shifted warbling noises".

Guess this means you will have to change your fingerpicking technique/pattern and try using the 1st string - see if that works?

I think I will steer clear of "High Strung" and stick with all the other altered tunings I know – I have hundreds collected in an old Variax Workbench Library the I haven't looked at for a long time. I must have a look and see if there is usable variant of the Nashville and let you know.

Meanwhile - Good luck!

Got it working! Unfortunately the low E tuned up 2 x octaves is a bit too much for the system to get its head around! It sounds like a duck on helium

Ah, sorry I missed this thread until now! I am in a Pink Floyd tribute band and tried the same thing with similar results. Two octaves of pitch shifting seemed OK for strumming, but just too much for such an exposed and important part.

I ended up dedicating a separate guitar to the "high strung" gauges and tuning for Hey You.

I'm sure nashville tuning doesn't have double octave 6th string and the 1st and 2nd strings are standard:

6th: octave

5th: octave

4th: octave

3rd: octave

2nd: standard

1st: standard

You may already be aware of this and have a special reason for your double octave but I cant think of a way you can achieve what you want in a way that sounds good.