Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix into Bose L1 Series 2 PA with Tone Match and B2 sub

isdirg1

Hi all I use my Helix and JTV69 direct into my Bose with the Tone Match set on the "Line 6 Pod" setting. The clean strat and acoustic sound great but when I choose a crunch sound I can't quite get the "metal" sound. The sound is good but a bit "boxy". I use sigma ir's and cut low and high to taste and tried putting in parametric eq to fix but to no avail. I have also tried other Tonematch settings such as "miked cab with SM57" "Flat EQ" and "Fender Strat". Does anyone use the same system as me and do they have the same issue? If you have a fix I would love you to share it with me and others on the forum. Cheers Don. .

• Upvote 1

I haven't used my Helix into my Bose system yet, it's the same system you're using. I haven't gotten to the point of comfort

that I had with the 2.0 Pod.(I know, I know, I have all the others, but nothing else since the 2.0 has done what I want)

I do run a variax acoustic 700 through it and a few JTV59 guitars. 

It does seem a bit shrill, especially the Vax 700. 

I'm sure nothing I'm saying right now helps, but I wanna follow this thread and hopefully hear others and contribute when I have

my Helix patches working the way I want.

I Run in to 2 Bose systems (L1 II with b1 bass unit and Tonematch) occasionally with a band I play in but I bypass the Tonematch using it only for vocals and plug into the analog quarter inch aux input on the base(it has its own trim control). In stereo with both poles, it sounds amazing. I ran an HD500X before and now my Helix using this setup. Are you running mono into the Tonematch or sending left and right into it? I once ran the stereo lef/right out of my Line 6 pedal into 2 channels on the Tonematch into one pole and got some nasty overtones. It wasn't good. The preset EQ's in Tonematch are great especially for OM-5 vocal mics which I prefer but I don't care for using them with Line 6 processors so I bypass the Tonematch. I'm assuming you are running Line out of your Helix.

• Upvote 1

That looks like a great tip from Wallyg. I don't use Bose but I have used these column ("line array") speakers and they can sound great. I would agree that you need minimal processing and bypassing the Tonematch may be the way to go. It may be that the Bose is simply revealing some shortcomings of the preset that sounded ok in whatever else you were monitoring the Helix with before the Bose. This may be off base but perhaps the preset is the culprit here. What amp model are you using for your "metal" sound on a crunch channel? Maybe you need to dial something heavier up. 

I use the Helix into the same Bose setup quite a bit.  I ended up cutting the highs quite a bit on the Tonematch for the Helix input.  I can't remember exact parameters at the moment, but I think I started with an unmodified channel and used Bose EQ to cut highs and even boost the lows a bit.   I used a QSC K12 as my comparison.  Basically I was trying to get any Helix patch to sound the same on both the Bose and the QSC.  Without EQ modification, the Bose was much more shrill sounding.

I personally don't like that little ToneMatch mixer ---- it always sounded too shrill and "digital" to my ears. Instead, I use a small analog mixer with the Bose L1, and the Helix sounds good through that. My philosophy (unfounded or not) is ... the fewer A/D and D/A conversions between a mic or guitar and the speakers, the better. Other than that, the advice here is good .... use a flat setting on the ToneMatch and apply EQ on the Helix to taste.

WallyG "nailed it" for me thanks very much.

I can't believe I didn't try that before as it has made a world of difference to my tones.

Thanks again to all of the people who tried to help me especially once again WallyG :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :) 

I Run in to 2 Bose systems (L1 II with b1 bass unit and Tonematch) occasionally with a band I play in but I bypass the Tonematch using it only for vocals and plug into the analog quarter inch aux input on the base(it has its own trim control). In stereo with both poles, it sounds amazing. I ran an HD500X before and now my Helix using this setup. Are you running mono into the Tonematch or sending left and right into it? I once ran the stereo lef/right out of my Line 6 pedal into 2 channels on the Tonematch into one pole and got some nasty overtones. It wasn't good. The preset EQ's in Tonematch are great especially for OM-5 vocal mics which I prefer but I don't care for using them with Line 6 processors so I bypass the Tonematch. I'm assuming you are running Line out of your Helix.

Thanks Wallyg. Five hours later and I am a very happy "chappy" all my tones sound awesome. Can't wait for tomorrow nights gig!!!!!

• Upvote 1