Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can anyone help with this tone

CBTL

I'm trying to recreate the solo tone. Sounds easy but it's escaping me completely. This is what I know about the signal chain. Tele into compulator, Cornish G2 into a hiwatt with what sounds like a bit of delay/reverb. Iv tried the LA Comp into a Rat and Muff and have some interesting results but just can't get that open quaky tone. Why are the easy ones the hardest?

I'm trying to recreate the solo tone. Sounds easy but it's escaping me completely. This is what I know about the signal chain. Tele into compulator, Cornish G2 into a hiwatt with what sounds like a bit of delay/reverb. Iv tried the LA Comp into a Rat and Muff and have some interesting results but just can't get that open quaky tone. Why are the easy ones the hardest?

CBTL,

If you really need the full breakdown of David Gilmour's rig used on that tour (On an Island 2006, Royal Albert Hall and Gdansk) you can find all the info here:

http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=218

Check it - hope it helps! :)

Late EDIT: this may help - Fender Custom Shop Telecaster

- 2006 1950s reissue/replica blonde ash body with a white pickguard and maple neck.

I can say that you'll get some of that 'gak' from the gain (your RAT/Muff aspect) pretty readily by running your amp gain high - higher than you'd likely normally run it... then hit it with a cleaner boost like the Minotaur - and again, you'll have the opportunity to get a little more of that fascinating thick 'almost messiness' by playing with the level and gain.

Master volume can also really sculpt this result, as will the bias.

I'd start with either the Angl or ... the Elektrik actually might get you there even quicker, come to think.

Note the pickup position selections - he was getting a fair bit of top end from the neck pickup; makes me wonder if it might be a Twisted Tele neck pickup. That would actually fit in this case, being as the Fender Twisted Tele neck pickup is meant to evoke a more 'Stratty' neck position tone, which sayd 'Gilmour' to me in a large way.

And again, that guess is based on the fact that he went to the bridge pickup and didn't take everyone's head off - so, either he's doing something to EQ at the same time as pickup positions, or else it's a TT or similar neck pickup paired with something gutsy like a Broadcaster bridge pickup (that's my favorite pairing for stock Fender Tele pickups in fact).

I'll dial something like this later to see if I'm right here; I'm going from memory here, but I know this characteristic (to be honest, because it was something I was specifically avoiding at the time, but took note for future reference... perhaps this post today is the reason for that).

... actually, using the Vermin (RAT) instead of the cleaner drive gets things right into the neighbourhood fast, by using a highly driven amp, and then the RAT with very little gain, and level to taste - the 'hchhhh' will arrive in short order.

Filter control to taste, after you've got the amp tone stack how you like for that very mid-driven sound (I'm a fan).

Using the gate will be your friend here; it'll become a wild elephant in this state, but it seems to get close.

While I agree that calling upon a similar audio chain can make sense, I'm of the mindset with modellers in general that it's advisable to avoid listening with the eyes; rather, dial through things and listen with your ear to get the results required.

With some fun routing work in the patch you can always use the Whowatt for cleaner parts of the sound (in fact, I've found that to be an /excellent/ amp for building clean patches around).

And, as above; very important to note, as I'd been discussing, that the sound character is informed a LOT by the narrow magnetic field of the Tele pickups being used - noiseless options can accomplish this as well (that's my approach with Teles, in particular, Barden pickups).