Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

If something is not quite right with your sound...

mileskb

I can't be the only one who's done this, and man is it annoying.

If you have your Helix hooked up to your computer, and for some reason the sound is "just not right" you might check to ensure your inpout is set to Guitar only and NOT Multi.  

In my case I play along with tunes on my PC for practice.   As I don't want to have to dink with the volumes on the Helix I use an external mixer.   PC in one stereo channel, Helix in another stereo channel.  However, in doing this I found my PC audio was ALSO coming in via the Helix from the USB cable which kinda made a mess of the sound in a subtle way.  Just everything sounded wrong, until I realize the input on the Helix was set to Multi.

I really wish there was a way to set certain things as "global" parameters.  99.9% of the time my input is going to be "guitar"..  yet I have to set it to guitar on every preset.  

Anyway... if things sound weird, and you are hooked up to a PC, even if you are NOT sending audio from the PC to the Helix, you might set the Helix input to be Guitar only.

In my case I play along with tunes on my PC for practice. As I don't want to have to dink with the volumes on the Helix I use an external mixer. PC in one stereo channel, Helix in another stereo channel. However, in doing this I found my PC audio was ALSO coming in via the Helix from the USB cable which kinda made a mess of the sound in a subtle way. Just everything sounded wrong, until I realize the input on the Helix was set to Multi.

Not sure I understand. The Multi input selects the Guitar, Aux, and Variax inputs simultaneously. It does not take the audio from your computer via USB as an input for processing. What I think you are describing is accurate - your computer audio is being doubled, once through your mixer and once through Helix output (unprocessed). So yes, you should disconnect the USB in that setup. But it actually has nothing to do with the Helix Input setting.

..... but again, I may be misunderstanding.

Not sure I understand. The Multi input selects the Guitar, Aux, and Variax inputs simultaneously. It does not take the audio from your computer via USB as an input for processing. What I think you are describing is accurate - your computer audio is being doubled, once through your mixer and once through Helix output (unprocessed). So yes, you should disconnect the USB in that setup. But it actually has nothing to do with the Helix Input setting.

..... but again, I may be misunderstanding.

Yeah.... actually you are correct.   This happened a couple of weeks ago and I meant to post about then.  Ultimately I unplugged the USB, which kinda defeats the purpose of having the Helix hooked up to the PC when playing along and working out patches.   I couldn't find a way to keep the audio from going out the USB from my laptop, although I admit I didn't try that hard cause I just wanted to play and not spend the afternoon dinking with my laptop.

And for perspective... all I wanted to do was try out some presets that someone had made using 2.11 and some different IR's... sooo... already that day I had to spend a bunch of time updating the Helix, reloading IR's and setlists, etc etc..  all I wanted to do was jam a bit.

I practice often connected via usb, listening to audio coming from the Mac to the Helix, and ran into this before. I have to be sure to turn the audio IN to something other than Helix in Settings>sound. If you happen to have DAW software open (Garageband included) the sound in on the Mac defaults to Helix. 

In my case I play along with tunes on my PC for practice. As I don't want to have to dink with the volumes on the Helix I use an external mixer. PC in one stereo channel, Helix in another stereo channel. .....

I know we've already got one solution to this (disconnect Helix from your computer), but I think your setup is overly complicated for the purpose of playing along with tunes on your PC. Your reason for using an external mixer seems to be to avoid 'dinking' with volumes in Helix. But even with the external mixer you still have to dink around with volumes either on the mixer channel for your PC or on the PC itself (perhaps even both) in order to balance levels between the Helix channel and your PC channel.

A simpler solution, in my view, is to leave the mixer out of your setup. Connect Helix to your PC using USB whereupon, as you already know, your PC audio is sent through the Helix outputs. Just balance the levels using your PC Volume control. Connect your speakers/monitors to the Helix outputs instead of your mixer outputs. Seems to me this involves less, not more, dinking around because your mixer is not involved.

I know we've already got one solution to this (disconnect Helix from your computer), but I think your setup is overly complicated for the purpose of playing along with tunes on your PC. Your reason for using an external mixer seems to be to avoid 'dinking' with volumes in Helix. But even with the external mixer you still have to dink around with volumes either on the mixer channel for your PC or on the PC itself (perhaps even both) in order to balance levels between the Helix channel and your PC channel.

A simpler solution, in my view, is to leave the mixer out of your setup. Connect Helix to your PC using USB whereupon, as you already know, your PC audio is sent through the Helix outputs. Just balance the levels using your PC Volume control. Connect your speakers/monitors to the Helix outputs instead of your mixer outputs. Seems to me this involves less, not more, dinking around because your mixer is not involved.

Well for some reason that's working fine now.   Hmmm...  nevermind... nothing to see..   move along...