Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Van Halen "Eruption" tone for the Helix

srolfs

Folks, I have an old Pod X3 Live that had a pre-programmed Line 6 Eruption tone on it. That patch is/was spectacular. 

For some reason I can't seem to tweak the Helix to get something close. I've tried the Glenn DeLaune "early VH" patch but found it unsatisfactory. 

Do any of you have any favorite patches for this or set-ups you use with the Helix for that Eruption sound?

I wish I could help because I have the same problems. I generally really like Glenn's patches but I also found the early Van Halen to be too mushy and convoluted. The is no clarity to the notes with just too much processing going on. The Eruption patch on the POD was awesome as was the STP Plush tone. I cant find those anywhere else. Its like on my first Line 6 amp the AX212 they had a Metallica patch that I have never been able to replicate on any other Line 6 product. Come to think of it my Line 6 Spider IV 150 has a much better Eruption tone than anything so far on Helix.

There's one I like on custom tone from ages ago, actually played on it earlier tonight. I looked it up, currently on page 108 (28 pages from the end), called "VHII" by stevencruz. It's taptastic!

(May need to paste in and reboot to auto rebuild for later firmware)

• Upvote 1

I wish I could help because I have the same problems. I generally really like Glenn's patches but I also found the early Van Halen to be too mushy and convoluted. The is no clarity to the notes with just too much processing going on. The Eruption patch on the POD was awesome as was the STP Plush tone. I cant find those anywhere else. Its like on my first Line 6 amp the AX212 they had a Metallica patch that I have never been able to replicate on any other Line 6 product. Come to think of it my Line 6 Spider IV 150 has a much better Eruption tone than anything so far on Helix.

I appreciate your feedback on this. Makes me feel sane and that it isn't just me.

If any of you other guys have suggestions on that Pod Eruption tone that would be great. For the Line 6 guys, would love it if you could take that Pod sound and make a preset for the Helix with it.

Being a huge fan of that Eddie Van Halen recording, I had made my own version of the tone for the Helix, but it stunk.  I checked out the VHII tone and it was OK,  but found the delay and phase were not correct. 

I modified the phase 90 setting and put in two different delays to work off of each other and I think I have a tone that is much better than what I had done on the helix a year ago.  The new tone may closer to Eruption than VHII.  I really like the "spacey" feel of the tone and it does remind me of the original recording.

Perhaps you may want to scale back the delays, as sometimes when I play it, it seems like the guitar is playing itself without me.

I uploaded it this morning to the Line 6 download area - my first tone submission.  Please note I am using a Marshall 1960 4x12 cab ir that is commonly found on the internet.  I don't recall where it was downloaded from, but honesty, just substitute any Marshall 4x12 cabinet (preferably a 1960 model) and you should be fine.