Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

M13 Changing settings on its own

Blackjaw

My current issue with my M13 is that my FX bank3 has a mind of its own. I use the M13 in scene mode with manual save active. I am using the original power supply and there are no other issues presently happening other than this one. Each scene I have set up is a part to a song; intro, chorus, outro etc... The parameters specifically for my delay time settings in FX bank3 will decide to move around all on their own. As if I am using an expression pedal to control the delay times. I don't even have an expression pedal hooked up and all of the settings are flat in set up for the expression pedal. For instance, a scene with a 435ms delay will waver between 435ms to 700ms. Sometimes slow sometimes fast. As if a ghost is turning the knob. It's not always those exact numbers, this is just for reference. Sometimes it will happen the first time I fire it up and go into a pre saved scene. Sometimes it won't rear its head until when I need that critical dotted 8th delay and it decides to warble from whole note, to quarter, to eighth, and so on. All happening while I am playing a part the requires dotted 8th of course, thus creating a sea of warbled mess. I can usually backout of the scene, go back and recall the preset as it was originally saved, even this has become unpredictable as of late though as the issue just continues. Ever hear of an issue like this? I really need my delay settings to map to the tempo I am playing with my band. Right now it's becoming a crapshoot with this issue. Any recommendations or tips for any fixes? Ever hear of this before? I know I saw one post about this awhile ago, but my searching efforts turned up nothing. If you have seen this, how do you go about trying to fix it? It's really now rendering my M13 useless in a live scenario. Any help or suggestions is appreciated. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

This is happening to me as well on my M13.  I will have the scenes set up just how I want them and for no reason the settings will start moving by themselves. sometimes it moves a lot, sometimes it's just a little.  It has happened to me on all 4 banks. It's indiscriminate to what effect is on but it is most horrible and noticeable on the delays or other FX that are timed.  It has rendered my pedal un-trustable and un-useable for any live situation (or even just jamming on my own).  I've gone back to my old pedal board and will likely never go back to a fully digital pedal like this; I just can't trust it.  I've tried everything from cleaning the pots to reloading the system from flash memory to opening the unit looking for gremlins.  Nothing I've done has gotten the ghost out of the machine. Sorry I don't have an answer as to what can be done to fix it.  I'm pretty much just here to commiserate with you :/  

• 3 months later...

I have an M9, bought second-hand and in good cosmetic condition. The 2nd parameter knob appears to change on its own.

When delay time is set to ms, it fluctuates up and down on its own. When delay time is set to a note value, it will change from quarter to triplet and eight and back while I'm playing.

I would like to see Line6 respond to this thread.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello all.

I haven't had this problem, but having bought a used M13 that needed repair--and having seen the insides, I'd test those banks of black capacitors, one by one. The M13 I have had one cap terribly out of spec and another that intermittently leaked. I clipped the legs as close to the capacitor body as I could and soldered the new caps to the old legs, using clip-on heat sinks--I wanted to minimize heat transfer to the PCBs.

It's possible that a very small wire (like a brush wire from a pot) fell out--or a small wire or filing got in from somewhere else--and has established a bridge between traces. You might get lucky with canned air (make sure that whatever you use is guaranteed plastic-safe).

Tinker at your own risk.

I would suspect an intermittent solder point. Line 6 authorized service would be best bet,

as opposed to someone going in not knowing what part of the circuit to deal with.

Get with Line 6 support to set up an RMA. Be sure your product is registered, then log a support ticket.

It might seem easy to do, but it's also easy to mess up.

slo-hand's advice is right, " Tinker at your own risk."

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I also had a similar problem with the M9. When I turn it on the potentiometers change doesn't work and change the sets itself randomly. When I try to set them up, they don't work. Only the model encoder works. After 1 hour warming on, the pots start to work but not the full range, just 20% up and down. After several hours with it on, the pots begin to work, but it's not possible to set them at the lowest position (first 10% of the range).
I opened and checked the voltages at the moment I turned it on and after several hours nothing had changed. The voltages were a little out: 12.8 / -11.6 / 4.8 / 3.2 v.

I cleaned all pcb and pots very well, checked all flat cables, everything is fine. Power supply sends 10.5 volts A/C.
I believe it can be a capacitor. I will try to change the electrolytic ones to see if I get any success.

If anyone finds a solution please share with us.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/20/2022 at 7:36 PM, VALENTENET said:

Guys, i got it!!

I found how to solve the ghostly issues.

I discovered a bad capacitor on the screen board. I changed it and now it´s perfect. It's a 10uf SMD electrolitic capacitor, and I changed it for a regular one.
Check the picture.

\o/

\o/

Could you link the capacitor you bought please?