Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Preamp vs amp block

steelstringer

Which block should I use (preamp or amp) if I am going from the 1/4 out from the Helix to the effects return of my tube amp? I want the Helix to provide my tone of course and I know to not use a cab block. I am confused as to the difference between the two. Thanks!

Let's say your amp is a Hot Rod Deville (HRD). Typically you'd use the 5150 preamp, replacing the HRD's preamp with the 5150 preamp. If you use the full 5150 amp, you're amping the full 5150 amp, pre and power, through the HRD power amp and speaker. If you use the 5150 amp and a speaker cab - hey, it's just a tone. If it sounds good, go for it! The joy of modeling is - NO RULES!

• Like 1

Thank you for the replies. I will play around with both options. I am dialing in a clean Mesa and dirty JCM 800 tone tonight. I just got the Helix LT this week, and I am astounded by all of the routing and tone shaping ability. I also enjoy this message board; it's very professional and helpful overall.

I prefer to use pre amp models into the return of my jcm2000. 4 cable method works fantastic...A/B-ing my preamp with helix 2204 is amazing...very very close. I notice less gain using only preamp vs full amp. But more gain can always be achieved by cranking my poweramp!! I shouldn't call it gain I guess...more dirt!

• 6 years later...
On 6/7/2023 at 4:50 AM, erdefa said:

Going into a PA, should I use the AMP block and not the Preamp?

Use the full amp + cab/IR when going direct to FOH or FRFR.

Use the full amp w/o cab/IR when going into a solid-state amp and guitar cab.

Use the preamp when going into a tube amp's return and guitar cab (unless the full amp sounds better).