Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Most Effective Helix Block Paths for JTV Models?

traphillman

Hello all,

I am not sure I am using the correct terminology in this question.  But I am about to buy a Helix LT to use exclusively with my JTV-59.  I have been told I have a long learning curve to go through to learn what LT/Helix settings I find most effective for the JTV models.   It would be a great help to learn from experienced users who have already been through this process.

So, I would love to know what primary  Amp, Cab, Effects, Mic selections and their sequence experienced users of the LT/Helix and a JTV guitar found most effective and realistic for reproducing and enhancing the basic original sound of each, or any,  of the JTV models they frequently use.

I realize I may be asking a lot.  But if I could even get input from one person or two about each of the many JTV models I would greatly appreciate it.   I am 77.   My JTV is my first electric guitar and, as I often tell people, I may not have as much time to sort these things out as most of you have no doubt invested.

My thanks in advance to anyone who might take their valuable time to relate this info about even one JTV model.   I am confident there are many present and future users who would benefit from and greatly appreciate your sharing of your insights and info.

Regards, Scott

There is nothing really unique about a JTV paired with Helix other than one provides a host of guitar models while the other provides a host of amp models. Pairing a particular guitar model with a particular amp model wouldn't really be that different than doing the same thing with traditional guitars and amps.

Perhaps the best approach would be to start with the music instead of the technology. Pick some music styles, artists and songs that you like. Listen and try to understand what it is you like about their playing and tone. Then go to YouTube and lookup the artist and song. Try to find a video of them playing that song. Look at the instrument they are playing, and the amp they are using. Look at what pickup they are using, where they are playing on the guitar neck and the shape of the chords they are using (the same note sounds different when played in different positions on the guitar). Go search for a rig rundown for the artist and see their approach to their equipment. Then use you JTV and helix to create patches that attempt to reproduce their setups. You'll find its not that hard to get pretty close.

And by all means, have fun!

I didn't have much learning curve when it comes to my JTV. I've found the models to be close to the models they're emulating. I'm just a P&W guy, but I tend to use mainly the Lester models paired with an AC30. I love my JTV. I'm getting nervous that I'm using as a crutch. It's so versatile that I just don't like to use my real Les Paul. I think you're gonna have a great time learning on your new Helix.

Hi,

Thanks for posting a comment -- it is great to make new friends in music. I am new to this Line 6 stuff. And really have never had many friends who played music because  I have always performed as a single and moved around often during my 25 years in the military.  Would you tell me what a "P&W guy" is?   And is an "AC30" an amp?   Do you have a Helix or Helix LT?

Hi,

Thanks for posting a comment -- it is great to make new friends in music. I am new to this Line 6 stuff. And really have never had many friends who played music because  I have always performed as a single and moved around often during my 25 years in the military.  Would you tell me what a "P&W guy" is?   And is an "AC30" an amp?   Do you have a Helix or Helix LT?

P&W = Praise and Worship, meaning the band playing at church. https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/category/video/worship/

AC30 is a Vox amp.  http://www.voxamps.com/ac30c2

You could just try and replicate the signal chain of a favorite artist to get their tone.

For instance, lets say you want to sound like Peter Townshend's recorded tone from the 70s.

You would dial up a model that is like a Gretsch 6120 (which is what he played on most of those records the most)

Then knowing he used a Bandmaster, select the Bassman which is most similar.

Then knowing he used a 3 x 10 cab, dial up the 4 x 10 that's in there, which is most similar.

If you can play like him, you will then find you sound a lot like him.

But if you're like me, you'll find your own tone. Your calll.

Try weird things, though. It's fun.

The really nice thing about having a Variax/Helix pairing is that you can hear the different responses between Humbucking and Single coil and the differences between guitars made by the same manufacturer's such as Fender etc etc.

I think the prior advice given is spot on in emulate your favorite artists setup from guitar through amps through effects is probably the best way to start.  Each of these, Helix/Variax can be overwhelming in their own right and the combination.....Well try not to be and have fun!

Thanks, Power User -- Ohio!

I understand.   I guess with so much information available on the internet I can find out a lot about the set-up and equipment of almost any performer.   I have already used You Tube to learn two old songs I could never find music for.   I will now be able to try to make midi/audio backing tracks for them.    Technology can be great!   And fun too!!

Regards, Scott