Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is the Pod HD Pro X right for me?

olisav

New posting in here so apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I'm looking into a new setup and my guitar instructor recommended the Pod HD Pro X to me. I've never used any effects units like this, and was initially looking to purchase a cab/head/pedal setup, but for everything I'm looking for it could be potentially done through the Pod.

I'm looking for something quite effects heavy, think Alcest, Bossk etc. style music, and was looking into delay and reverb pedals, particularly for my clean tones, is the Pod a good alternative or would I be better off with pedals?

Price wise I'd probably be paying less with the Pod, and has the added bonus of recording through my PC as well. As I said I've got no experience with this kind of unit and literally just had it recommended to me so am looking for some more information specific to my needs, any advice would be helpful!

*A quick Google of those bands leads me to say - sure, you can do that.

I don't know those bands. 

BUT... 

I bought a pod and replaced everything that went between me and the pa. 

No amps. No other fx.

I walk in, I put my pod on the floor, and I am ready to go. 

You, of course, are looking at the rack unit. So, you wouldn't necessarily put yours on the floor. Although, you should consider getting the foot controller for it, which would be on the floor. 

I can tell you - 

There are limits as to how many effects you can use at one time. You can have a maximum of 8 at one time, but you are also limited by DSP (similar to RAM on a pc). Amps, delays, and reverbs are heavy on DSP. It is possible that if you run a dual amp and then try to add 8 delays/reverbs/harmonizers that you will run out of DSP before you hit 8.

*Amps use DSP but do not count towards your 8 blocks.  

Depending on how many effects you actually want to run, as well as routing options, you may want to consider a Helix. 

You will not find a better unit in this price range, but the unit is 7 years old. Technology now allows for much more if you need more, which is why the Helix may be a better choice. Certainly, "pedals" are not an option if the Pod cannot handle the work. 

As I mentioned my instructor already owns one and recommended it, so he's offered to walk me through it and help with the learning curve.

In terms of other gear I was considering I'm only in the browsing stage and was looking at an orange dark terror, and pedal wise I was looking at a Boss DD7 delay and RV6 reverb pedal among a few others such as distortion, tremelo etc. My budget is around £1000 so if the Pod is able to get me similar effects it might be the way to go.

I was just looking for some feedback from the community on if it's suitable for this kind of music, as I said I'm new to it. Plus I already have some decent quality speakers I could run it through, the only extra cost looks like it would be the foot control as I'll be wanting to switch effects between songs.

Holy crap. 

If those pedals are all you need to make your tone - the Pod may be too much unit for you, lol. 

The only benefit you will have using a programmable unit over those would be the able to dial in and store your favorite settings.

Also, take note... 

The HD Pro, HD Pro X, HD500, and HD500x are all the same unit - as far as a computer brain is concerned. 

The floor unit made more sense for me. A rack may make more sense for you. A rack unit with a foot controller may make sense too. 

The X units have slightly more DSP because of a hardware change. And there are some minute differences in jacks between the floor and rack units. 

But ultimately, when updated to the latest firmware, they are all the same basic unit. 

As you are new to it the HD will be affordable and give you what you need at home and at gigs.

I'd suggest the HD500(x)if you plan to gig now as you'l save on having to need a controller

and it will hook up to your powered speakers or amp and speakers.

It is also expandable into the "dream Rig" with the addition of the expensive Line 6 DT series amps

if you got bucks and the Variax guitars by line 6 make the dream rig but it adds up.

For me my HD500 is just fine with my collection of guitars.

One under rated advantage is using it with affordable solid state amps on stage for monitoring.

Some are absolute bargains when you consider their reliability like old Peavey's or in the UK

there will be a local maker of reliable still going Solid State amps.

To me the HD really repurposes those old amps if your on a budget.

You will want studio monitors and not just HiFi speakers but even they will do for now.

The Helix is a step up in sound quality, mostly with the time based effects are more lush and detailed then on the HD.

The HD is perfectly adequate and a great place to start if you are past the beginner stage.

For an absolute beginner get an acoustic and just practice on it till your good. You dont want to many distactions

when you are learning to be good.

• Upvote 1

There area guys that want the rack unit and foot controller because, apparently, there are drunks in these bars that get on stage and puke on gear. Replacing a foot controller is cheaper and easier then a floor unit. 

I know that I am way above those types of places today, but I wasn't always. I was a nobody like the rest of you ---- I never had people jumping on my stage and bashing my gear around. 

• Upvote 1

It's not so much jumping on stage and bashing gear around.  It's more of the drunks that come up during break or after the gig and want to (try) and talk to you and end up spilling their beer or stepping all over your equipment.  I don't think I'm wrong but probably most of us don't have the luxury of of being way above playing at the local bar or Moose Lodge.

There area guys that want the rack unit and foot controller because, apparently, there are drunks in these bars that get on stage and puke on gear. Replacing a foot controller is cheaper and easier then a floor unit. 

I know that I am way above those types of places today, but I wasn't always. I was a nobody like the rest of you ---- I never had people jumping on my stage and bashing my gear around. 

Yeah, at the 4 Points Swapmeet today, as we went to overtime, fans lined the front of the stage with beers for the band filled to the brim. A mere 5 inches away was my FBV board. I was so glad it wasn't a 500X or Helix! My POD HD Desktop was stored neatly away behind me in a Sterlite container. *Whew* Napy dodged another front of stage disaster!