Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Mac recommendations

dbraman

I run Logic Pro X for my recording. Presently I'm using an older Macbook Pro 2.0 gz processor. It was fine, but adding Native to the mix has pushed performance requirements over the top. Thinking about getting a new iMac. Will the 2.3gz processor be sufficient, or should I go to the 3.0? Thanks

• Downvote 1

The 2.3 should be fine. It’s the memory you need to up. Don’t know if the new iMacs have soldered on memory or not. If they do, don’t chintz out on that or the storage. With enough memory, I think these days you’d have to actually try to get a computer that can’t handle multitrack duties.

The 2.3 should be fine. It’s the memory you need to up. Don’t know if the new iMacs have soldered on memory or not. If they do, don’t chintz out on that or the storage. With enough memory, I think these days you’d have to actually try to get a computer that can’t handle multitrack duties.

Would 8 gbs be sufficient?

I have a mid 2010 mac book pro. I've maxed the ram and put in a ssd. Easy to do yourself. Its like having a brand new machine.

Interesting...hadn't considered that. Is it a hassle though replacing the hard drive in terms of installing the OS? I bought my MacBook used, I don't know if re-downloading the OS will be easy/doable.

It's not for the faint of heart, but if you want to save some cash and control your specs, build your own desktop Mac.  I've done it twice now with outstanding results, and I'll probably build a third machine in a rackmount case for recording and plugins.  http://tonymacx86.com was an excellent resource. 

Get the fastest cpu you can afford. I was running Logic Pro X on a Mid 2011 Mac Mini (2 GHz dual i7) and it was choking on newer processor-hungry plug-ins, even with ample memory and an SSD. After Helix Native and Superior Drummer 3 came out, I sought a faster used iMac and its working out great. — a Late 2015 27†Retina 5K iMac, i7 4.0 GHz. It has 8G memory, and that seems to be enough for even SD3 and Omnisphere within Logic, no problem. I love the large iMac retina display, and minimal cables! The iMac came with a system 256GB SSD installed internally, and I just added a 500G SSD in the other internal drive bay for my project files, easy to do. System, apps, plug-ins and projects load fast! I use a 7200 rpm USB3 external drive for all my samples (Logic Pro, SD3, Omnisphere, etc).

Look up the Geekbench scores for any Macs you are considering and do some compares, and buy the fastest you can afford. Get at least 8Gb RAM, use an SSD for your system and app drive. If you don't need portability, get a MacBook. If its going to stay in your studio, get an iMac. Drink plenty of water and get sufficient sleep.

GO WITH THE 3GHZ!

And go ahead to 16G RAM.

Then you will be future proof enough that you will get more years out of the machine.

And if you build your own Hackintosh you are violating license agreements. Not ethical imho, and maybe not legal.

Just got a refurbished 21" iMac 3,4 gz quad i5. It has 8G RAM. Upgrading to 16G wasn't an option when buying it off the Apple site, but I'll see to that shortly. Thanks to all for the advise

Just as a heads up, the newer 21†iMacs have the RAM soldered to the board, so upgrading may not be an option.

Just as a heads up, the newer 21†iMacs have the RAM soldered to the board, so upgrading may not be an option.

Damn. So do you think I'd be better off returning this and going with the 3.0gz processor but with 16gbs of RAM? 

Before you jump the gun, what model is the Mac you ordered? Are you 100% certain it can't upgrade to 16 and 32?

I've never encountred a problem with 8Gb running Logic Pro with lots of virtual instruments and plugs, but its nice to know you can add on if needed in the future.