Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Mic input questions

KRTW

I have tried reading the manual, looking this up on youtube and searching the forum, but still have not figured this out yet. I know I am not using the full power of the Helix and want to improve my use, by incorporating and using the mic input. 

I really want to be able to add the mic input to my existing patches where possible. 

I would like to use the XLR outs for guitar and send vocals separately.

I just got a talkbox and although it is working, kinda, the guitar signal from Helix plays while talkbox is on.....just getting started.

I tried starting from a blank preset. Added a mic input....cannot find how to get to the mic-pre settings. I need to adjust gain, control Phantom, etc....I think I know how to route the output to where I want it......

Next is to start adding FX to vocaLs.....

If there is any posts, videos, or advice anybody has, please send link.

Thanks.

The easiest way to start would be to put the guitar on Path A and the mic on Path B. 

On the left, select the circle on the far left on path 1 and set the input device to Guitar.  On the far right of the path and select the output and set it to XLR.

Now on Path 2, select the circle on the far left and set the input device to mic.  On the far right of the path, select the output circle and set it to whatever you want to output it to (1/4"?? you didn't say).

There are lots of other ways of setting this up if you need more than this

(for instance, if you needed another path for the guitar, you take an effect on Path 2A and drag it down to Path 2B.  Then select the split and set it to have the input device from mic (you should see a new circle so you see two separate paths).  At the end of Path 1A, set the output to go to Path 2A and not XLR.  Now go to path 2 and select the mixer from path 2B to 2A and set it to output to whatever you want the mic to go to (instead of connecting to Path 2A) and set path 2A to output to XLR.  I know that sounds complicated, but it's easier to do than it is to describe in words.)

Thanks for the posts. I spent the afternoon working on this, and get it at least working.....Don't know yet if this will do for live work in a band due to the mic-pre quality, but MAN, I hope it does.

There are a bunch of posts about setting the mic-pre gain and turning phantom on. Nobody describes how to set these and I have not found this yet.

I LOVE the Helix.......I believe I am at about 20% use, and am looking forward to getting at least to 50%....its routing capabilities alone and astounding.....looking deeper into this as we speak.

You know one thing I wish was included - 3 guitar inputs so I can switch out guitars without unplugging.

You know one thing I wish was included - 3 guitar inputs so I can switch out guitars without unplugging.

Agree, another guitar input would have been most useful. You could always use a Return although the impedance probably won't be correct for your third guitar. Your best option might just be a splitter before the Helix.

Not to hijack this thread at all but...I just got an HX Effects (really looking forward to playing with it), and I was wondering if you could something similar with it. I have a Chapman Stick and a modded Squire VI, both of which use split pickups (as in, using a TRS cable from the instrument to two TR ends), and I would absolutely LOVE to be able to have the higher sides of the instruments plugged into the R input, and be able to route them on separate paths.

I did look through the owners manual pretty hard and I'm not entirely sure this is possible?

Super many thanks in advance!

Helix's Phantom Power feature is in the Global Settings.

The Studio Tube Preamp is in the PreAmps List.

Here's a post I made from a while back:

What was a great discovery for me, and may be of interest to other Helix Users, is that Helix has a Studio Tube PreAmp located in the PreAmp > Mic Models List! This Studio TubePre may be placed in Helix’s Signal Path(s) as a Block, once, or several times, and can be just as useful for guitar as it can be for Mics!

Try it positioned early in the Signal Path.