Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX input/output impedance?

BenButlerMusic

Not to contradict psarkissian, but I believe the ins and outs are the same as the Helix (although the main inputs don't have the same variable Z that the Helix has).

At instrument level, the Helix inputs and returns will be 1MOhm. At line level, they're 10kOhm.

When I measured the outputs and sends on the Helix, they were 10kOhm regardless if they were set to line or instrument level. I haven't measured them on the HX Effects yet.

Are you guys measuring it or going by a spec sheet? You probably see where I’m going with this but I am wondering when I put an overdrive pedal in the FX loop is it seeing the same kind of impedance as it would when going straight from the guitar. 

Just now, BenButlerMusic said:

Are you guys measuring it or going by a spec sheet?

For the Helix, I measured it with my multimeter. I'll try to grab readings on the HX this evening.

I did some more digging, and someone on TGP measured the outputs as 370 Ohms, which seems to make more sense.

3 minutes ago, BenButlerMusic said:

I have a multimeter too. So to measure the output impedance, do you just plug a short 1/4” cable in and put the probes on the tip and sleeve of the connector and set the meter to ohms? Is it that easy?? Thanks!

Yep...

What's written in the HX schematic diagram at the jacks, and confirming it with calculations of the circuits involved.

Pretty much industry standard, everyday instrument level impedance.

Multimeter would be more of the standard bulk DC resistance. Subtle difference between that and impedance, which

considers reactance of any capacitors or inductors involved. Both are correct, one is a passive reading, the other circuit

active.

Resistance is the resist of a circuit not including reactance in a circuit that is passive. Reactance occurs when a

voltage/signal is applied and reactance becomes parts of it. Impedance by definition, is a function of frequency,

which infers the presence of a voltage/signal. Resistance doesn't require that.

Phil and Ben have the passive aspects, while I managed to dig out the active aspects that are more to do with impedance

as specified in the documents, rather than just resistance. We're all pretty much correct on that one.

• Thanks 1