Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX effects in the amps loop

gjm206

I was trying to run the HX effects as follows: Guitar to input, output to the amp, fx loop 1 send to amp effect loop return and fx loop 1 return to the amps effects loop send. I then set my chain up in the following order. Distortion> FX loop 1 > chorus > delay. The distortion works, but I cannot hear any of the effects after the loop.  Is this type of setup possible?

7 hours ago, gjm206 said:

I was trying to run the HX effects as follows: Guitar to input, output to the amp,

"Output to amp" is not correct. 

• Guitar to Input...
  • Send 1 to amp
  • Amp Effects Send to Return 1
  • Output to Amps Effects Return

Obviously... make sure Effects Loop 1 is setup as a block in the HX Effects. 

The diagram above shows the correct routing... but in 35 years of gigging I have never disconnected the ground from cables... and never suffered from my choice :) 

• Upvote 1

Thanks, I hooked it up this way and have it working. I set it up to turn  off the HX effect loop when I turn on a distortion block. I can't seem to tame the harshness when the loop and distortion are on at the same time.

18 hours ago, gjm206 said:

I set it up to turn  off the HX effect loop when I turn on a distortion block. I can't seem to tame the harshness when the loop and distortion are on at the same time.

This really shouldn't happen... it may be the loop level settings, but could be something else going on. What happens if you just scrap the 4 cable setup and run the HX into your amp? Does the distortion sound right then? 

Everyone gets hung up on the 4cm, but rarely (extremely rarely) do I ever see anyone running a traditional pedal board in that manner. IMO... get the unit sounding the way you want "in front of the amp" then (only if you feel you need to) attempt the 4 cable method. 

On 6/15/2018 at 3:01 PM, caberto1981 said:

Why did you disconnected the ground? Noise? I have to solder new plugs and I may try this if there's a improvement

To eliminate potential ground loop hum