Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Windows 10 Automatically Makes the Helix my Soundcard Every Time I plug it into my Computer

Rocco_Crocco

This is more of a Windows Question, but how do I stop Windows from automatically changing my output device every time I plug in the Helix, or the Boss SY-300, or my Blackstar ID amp. Any time I plug any of these devices into my computer, they automatically become the current output device.

I have looked for settings to keep using my preferred output device (Audiobox USB Interface) until I manually change it to something else, but I couldn't find any such setting.

It's not a super big deal but it is kind of a PITA in that it interrupts workflow when I connect devices to my computer.

Anyone have any  suggestions?

I had a Katana for a while and it did the same thing. I'm pretty sure it's a function of the driver requesting exclusive control of output, and considered a "feature" in a Windows API. At any rate, I never could figure out how to stop it. Yes, PITA!

• Upvote 1

While you have the Helix plugged in, right click on the speaker icon in the tray and go to playback devices. You'll probably see that the Helix is set as default there. Set something else to default (while the Helix is plugged in) and it should stop doing that, I believe.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, njglover said:

While you have the Helix plugged in, right click on the speaker icon in the tray and go to playback devices. You'll probably see that the Helix is set as default there. Set something else to default (while the Helix is plugged in) and it should stop doing that, I believe.

I like your thinking! I just tried this, however, and when I reconnected Helix after changing the default, the Helix took over output duties once again. 

If you go back to playback sound device and select inactivate/disable (I have swedish version so something similar and press OK, you should be good.

Now you can't use it as sound card but everything else should work. I acually use it this way as I had the same problem.

Cheers /Per

• Upvote 1

On 9/21/2018 at 12:47 PM, Rocco_Crocco said:

I like your thinking! I just tried this, however, and when I reconnected Helix after changing the default, the Helix took over output duties once again. 

Huh, this is how I always did it before. There's also the option to change your current sound device from that speaker icon menu right on the taskbar. Not sure if that works any different/better.

• Upvote 1

I seem to have misunderstood the problem. I use a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20. In the Windows Sound app I've disabled Helix, and set the 18i20 as the DEFAULT device. Regardless of whether I'm rebooting, reconnecting, or simply switching devices, Helix only takes control if it's enabled as the DEFAULT device. Is your Audiobox set as the DEFAULT device?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rd2rk said:

I seem to have misunderstood the problem. I use a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20. In the Windows Sound app I've disabled Helix, and set the 18i20 as the DEFAULT device. Regardless of whether I'm rebooting, reconnecting, or simply switching devices, Helix only takes control if it's enabled as the DEFAULT device. Is your Audiobox set as the DEFAULT device?

Yes sir. Audiobox is set as the default device.

I appreciate all the tips so far.

Nothing is fixing it but as I said its really just a minor nuisance more than anything else.