Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp Amp-less Setup Questions

homingyue

Hey guys! 

First time poster here, and happy owner of a Helix LT! Mad excited when I saw the HX Stomp being announced cause it made me wonder if I could possibly have another setup with other pedals that I love! 

So, as stated, the HX Stomp allows for 6 active effects at a given time. 

It also allows for 2 inputs for expression pedal(s), switches or, I'm guessing, other pedals to be included into the signal path? 

My question here is, what if I wanted to use MORE than just 2 external pedals alongside the HX Stomp, but have the HX Stomp be my main amp+cab+ir sound when it outputs? 

Here's a list of effects I'd want, and maybe you guys can help me figure this out! 

EM Drive (external drive)

El Capistan (External delay) 
Big Sky (External reverb) 

Minotaur (HX Stomp) 

Vintage Delay (HX Stomp) 
Cali Compressor (HX Stomp) 

Dual amps (Hx stomp) 

IR (Hx Stomp) 

How would this array of pedals/effects work as a signal chain? 

How many external pedals can I actually chain up and put into the HX Stomp, WITH it being my amp modeller into FOH? 

THANKS IN ADVANCE <3 

If you want to keep the stomp as a full I/O you will need to use the loop(s) and those will take up blocks which will limit your options. If you want to retain as many blocks as possible from the Stomp, you will need to begin the chain with your EM drive, then end the chain with the El Capistan and Big Sky... putting the stomp between them. 

5 hours ago, homingyue said:

How many external pedals can I actually chain up and put into the HX Stomp, WITH it being my amp modeller into FOH? 

There is no limit to how many external pedals you chain up... it's just a matter of whether or not you can place them in your preferred location in the chain without running out of blocks.

7 hours ago, homingyue said:

Hey guys! 

First time poster here, and happy owner of a Helix LT! Mad excited when I saw the HX Stomp being announced cause it made me wonder if I could possibly have another setup with other pedals that I love! 

So, as stated, the HX Stomp allows for 6 active effects at a given time. 

It also allows for 2 inputs for expression pedal(s), switches or, I'm guessing, other pedals to be included into the signal path? 

My question here is, what if I wanted to use MORE than just 2 external pedals alongside the HX Stomp, but have the HX Stomp be my main amp+cab+ir sound when it outputs? 

Here's a list of effects I'd want, and maybe you guys can help me figure this out! 

EM Drive (external drive)

El Capistan (External delay) 
Big Sky (External reverb) 

Minotaur (HX Stomp) 

Vintage Delay (HX Stomp) 
Cali Compressor (HX Stomp) 

Dual amps (Hx stomp) 

IR (Hx Stomp) 

How would this array of pedals/effects work as a signal chain? 

THANKS IN ADVANCE <3 

Here's an idea. Use the EM Drive BEFORE the input of Helix, probably want it first anyway. Use the Big Sky AFTER Helix and then go from that to amp or FOH or FRFR or whatever. Probably want it last anyway. Then you only need to use up ONE block for a loop with the El Capistan.

That said, I think the delays in HX Stomp are devastatingly good, so maybe ditch El Cap for this board. That's up to you.

Know that you can only use six blocks in Stomp. two amps, and an IR for each is four of those. only two left.

If that sounds scary to you, then you need to either adjust how you do things in Stomp, or simply go up to LT.

On 10/14/2018 at 2:02 AM, PeterHamm said:

Here's an idea. Use the EM Drive BEFORE the input of Helix, probably want it first anyway. Use the Big Sky AFTER Helix and then go from that to amp or FOH or FRFR or whatever. Probably want it last anyway. Then you only need to use up ONE block for a loop with the El Capistan.

That said, I think the delays in HX Stomp are devastatingly good, so maybe ditch El Cap for this board. That's up to you.

Know that you can only use six blocks in Stomp. two amps, and an IR for each is four of those. only two left.

If that sounds scary to you, then you need to either adjust how you do things in Stomp, or simply go up to LT.

Yup totally understand! haha. 

I guess that means I can put as many external pedals (drives, compressors,boosts) BEFORE the Stomp, and NOT after the Stomp since I'm using it as my amp(s) out? 

Would a signal chain like this make sense? 

Deep 6 Compressor > EM Drive >Bondi Sick As >  External Input 1 of HX Stomp > HX Stomp amp & Effects  Signal Chain> FOH

El Cap/Big Sky > External Input 2 of HX Stomp (placed into one of the 6 slots of the signal chain) 

Certain modulation effects, delay and reverb are best placed after the amp (or after any distortion), either in the Helix patch, or physically when using external pedals. You just have to make sure the gain staging is correct so that you don’t overdrive a pedal that’s designed for guitar input levels with high output amps. Placing these effects in front of a distorted amp was always a compromise in the past. However, its a compromise we’re use to hearing and might like anyway. Remember, there’s no accounting for taste. 

Looks like you are running it similar to how I would like to to run it when I get it.

On 10/15/2018 at 9:51 PM, homingyue said:

Deep 6 Compressor > EM Drive >Bondi Sick As >  External Input 1 of HX Stomp > HX Stomp amp & Effects  Signal Chain> FOH

El Cap/Big Sky > External Input 2 of HX Stomp (placed into one of the 6 slots of the signal chain) 

I think it is going to depend on how you would run it into an amp and style you are playing. If you would normally go directly into the front of an amp then then put all your drives into the front and use the effects loop built into the stomp and run your time based effects and you can run after any effects you want on the stomp and then back to the amps and out to FOH. If you like to put your time based stuff into the FX loop of an amp then there is that option too. If you check out the Andertons youtube channel they have a video with the Line 6 UK guy there doing some stuff on it and they have it running into a live amp and direct into their DAW. Which is a cool option! But to get back to it... You should look at this from the "how do I run a normal setup to an amp" kinda thing and go from there. 

Here is an example of what Im looking to do.

SP Comp > POG2 > mojomojo > ts808 > volume pedal > into Stomp > have 1-2 open slots for modulation > out  to timeline > bigsky > back to stomp have 1-2 open slots for effects (rotary, trem, ect... stuff I like after my reverb) > then into amps > out to FOH 

Where I have the extra slots will all depend on what effects I run on the stomp or if I run into a live amp after it or into the FOH.

Here is a link to that video: https://youtu.be/z0rcv1LBO_s 

They also explain what the expression/switch is used for. Basically its to add 2 extra buttons or to run expression pedal. They use an expression pedal in the video. 

Hope this helps!

• 6 months later...

Maybe somebody could answer my question. I am getting ready to purchase HX Stomp. Real tube amp has preamp, power amp, and speaker.
I want to use my dual tube preamp Kingsley Constable pedal which is based on Marshall Plexi.

So, I don't want to use amp modeling in HX Stomp but only power amp modeling and I.R. cab simulation.

In amp models in HX can I use only  power amp section and not to use preamp section?

Thank you,

Henry

1 hour ago, henrykc said:

Maybe somebody could answer my question. I am getting ready to purchase HX Stomp. Real tube amp has preamp, power amp, and speaker.
I want to use my dual tube preamp Kingsley Constable pedal which is based on Marshall Plexi.

So, I don't want to use amp modeling in HX Stomp but only power amp modeling and I.R. cab simulation.

In amp models in HX can I use only  power amp section and not to use preamp section?

Thank you,

Henry

Not really, but you can take one of the bigger "clean" amps and make the preamp section as neutral as possible and you might have good results. I'd start with the Twin. Or a clean Marshall.