Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX STOMP- Expression Pedal Setup.

macnevine

Hi There - I just received my stomp.  The manual is confusing me for using 2 expression pedals.  I want to purchase 2x Line 6 EX-1 Expression Pedal  to control volume with one pedal (but "not" to waste the volume pedal block- so to control the min/max levels on the mixer at the end of the chain)  and I would mainly use the 2nd pedal to control the MIX on my delay.

My question is:

1.  What specific Y adapter should I purchase?  Can you please attach an amazon link (that would be very helpful)  I am confused about TRS vs TS etc...

2.  Will the Line 6 EX-1 Expression Pedal work to control the HX Stomp parameters without issue?  I have a Roland EV-5 and it seems glitchy.  I also purchased a cheaper pro audio pedal and it seems to also be glitchy- noting that both those of these  pedals I own are TRS and not TS.  

3.  The Global parameter directions are confusing to me to set up 2 expressions.  Something about a Tip/Ring.  So can someone be specific how I would set the 2 pedals up in the settings.

4.  Once this is hooked up with the correct Y adapter can both pedals be used at the same time sending their perspective commands or do I need to somehow do a step prior to select Exp. pedal 1 or 2.

Thanks so much for you help.  Hoping someone with this exact set up can clarify so I can use 2 pedals.

1 hour ago, macnevine said:

Hi There - I just received my stomp.  The manual is confusing me for using 2 expression pedals.  I want to purchase 2x Line 6 EX-1 Expression Pedal  to control volume with one pedal (but "not" to waste the volume pedal block- so to control the min/max levels on the mixer at the end of the chain)  and I would mainly use the 2nd pedal to control the MIX on my delay.

My question is:

1.  What specific Y adapter should I purchase?  Can you please attach an amazon link (that would be very helpful)  I am confused about TRS vs TS etc...

2.  Will the Line 6 EX-1 Expression Pedal work to control the HX Stomp parameters without issue?  I have a Roland EV-5 and it seems glitchy.  I also purchased a cheaper pro audio pedal and it seems to also be glitchy- noting that both those of these  pedals I own are TRS and not TS.  

3.  The Global parameter directions are confusing to me to set up 2 expressions.  Something about a Tip/Ring.  So can someone be specific how I would set the 2 pedals up in the settings.

4.  Once this is hooked up with the correct Y adapter can both pedals be used at the same time sending their perspective commands or do I need to somehow do a step prior to select Exp. pedal 1 or 2.

Thanks so much for you help.  Hoping someone with this exact set up can clarify so I can use 2 pedals.

In response to your questions:

1. The cord linked below will work perfectly:

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-STP-203-inch-Insert-Cable/dp/B000068O1P/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542141815&sr=8-1&keywords=Hosa+STP202

2. Most expression pedals (and I assume one designed by Line 6) should work as a regular expression pedal for the Stomp. I can't say that I KNOW this though. You would hope Line 6's own pedal would work, but at the same time the one you listed is a pretty old model. It might be time to upgrade first, BUT before you do buy the TRS cable and test it out.  

However, for maximum use of the expression pedal options (i.e. in order to have dual control of both the wah and volume/block toggle) you want to use the more expensive one given in the manual:

https://www.amazon.com/Mission-Engineering-Helix-Expression-Switch/dp/B019WJ0BS0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542141924&sr=8-1&keywords=mission+engineering+helix+expression+pedal

3. I wish I could be more explanatory than the directions. Have you tried a youtube video?

4. See the video above. You can set it up to use two pedals at once.  It's just a question of what you're really after.

Thanks this was very helpful.  I guess I did not catch that cable shown in the video because it is was showing it going to only one controller with 2 inputs.  A light bulb went on today when I saw the amazon link you sent showing the cable and after rewatching that video.  I get the TIP / Ring thing now and the settings. I guess I will try some expression pedals when I get the cable.  Someone also said the new firmware was causing some expression pedal issues but not sure how wide spread that is or true.  I will keep an eye on the board.

• Like 1

OK I am continuing to be frustrated with the HX STOMP expression pedal set up.  All I want are 2 basic expression pedals to control some various parameters.  Thanks to amazon I have ordered various pedals and none work correctly.  I finally ordered 2x DOD mini https://digitech.com/en/products/dod-mini-expression  . Last night I connected using the recommended https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-STP-203-inch-Insert-Cable/dp/B000068O1P/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542141815&sr=8-1&keywords=Hosa+STP202  cable.   I set both pedals to TIP.  It worked!!!! I was able to learn expr. 1 and 2.  Guess what- I woke up this morning and went to my various patches and now exp. 1 is not being recognized.  Only 2 is being recognized.  I have spend hours this AM checking my cables. Rebooting HX flipping the switch on the DOD from tip to ring.  Nothing works- to me this seems like a bug.  The only thing left for me to do is to order 2 x Line 6 EX-1 Expression Pedal to try.  HAs anyone successfully set up 2x expression pedals.  I am not interested in the one pedal that controls 2 things with a push of that to button by M.  I just want 2 basic expr. pedals that work and that has a smaller foot print,  Ugggggg

• 1 month later...

This is from the Helix Ideascale Community thread. Maybe this will help. I know one key thing is the 10K pot.

It comes down to a hardware difference. The fact of the matter is Line 6 using (and always has used) a simple TS circuit for their expression pedals. The vast majority of other manufacturers are using a TRS scheme. This Strymon article from a few years ago explains how a TRS expression pedal works. Basically, a TRS pedal works by "seeing" the voltage coming back on the tip  (the control voltage from pedal is sent out on the ring). Line 6 pedals are simply sensing the voltage on the tip. The potentiometer in the pedal is acting like voltage sink. This means that Line 6 pedals are more sensitive to the value of the potentiometer in the pedal. The Helix accounts for this somewhat through auto-calibration, and some TRS pedals seem to work, but other will never work.

This is a typical schematic for a TRS expression pedal:

expression_pedal_sch-1.gif

This is the schematic for a Line 6 expression pedal:

exp_pedal.jpg&key=380cb5e6425a92b85e2d00

1 hour ago, brue58ski said:

This is from the Helix Ideascale Community thread. Maybe this will help. I know one key thing is the 10K pot.

It comes down to a hardware difference. The fact of the matter is Line 6 using (and always has used) a simple TS circuit for their expression pedals. The vast majority of other manufacturers are using a TRS scheme. This Strymon article from a few years ago explains how a TRS expression pedal works. Basically, a TRS pedal works by "seeing" the voltage coming back on the tip  (the control voltage from pedal is sent out on the ring). Line 6 pedals are simply sensing the voltage on the tip. The potentiometer in the pedal is acting like voltage sink. This means that Line 6 pedals are more sensitive to the value of the potentiometer in the pedal. The Helix accounts for this somewhat through auto-calibration, and some TRS pedals seem to work, but other will never work.

This is a typical schematic for a TRS expression pedal:

expression_pedal_sch-1.gif

This is the schematic for a Line 6 expression pedal:

exp_pedal.jpg&key=380cb5e6425a92b85e2d00

You'd think if it was a known issue that many expression pedals wouldn't work that they'd specify in the manual ones they know that work.

Do you happen to know if there is a running list of functional Helix pedals?  It should be a safe assumption that if they work in the Helix, which has been out longer, they'll work in the Stomp.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kilrahi said:

You'd think if it was a known issue that many expression pedals wouldn't work that they'd specify in the manual ones they know that work.

Do you happen to know if there is a running list of functional Helix pedals?  It should be a safe assumption that if they work in the Helix, which has been out longer, they'll work in the Stomp.

I didn't read this whole thread but I think this is the one I'm thinking of that has the most info in this regard.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Any joy on this yet?  I'm using the same setup as Macnevine.  Same DOD pedals, same sort of TRS to TS Y-cable.  The DOD pedals have a 3-way switch; its middle position is labeled TS and makes the pot 10k ohm.  The pedals will register movements on the Stomp correctly, but they both are read as EXPR 2.  If both are connected, neither will be seen as EXPR 1.  I've checked continuity on the  Y-cable, and it is correct.  The pedals seem to meet the requirements of the Line6 expression pedal standard.  But they cannot  be made to act independently of each other.

It's always possible I'm doing something wrong.  But this sure seems like a firmware issue to me.  I've tried inverting polarities, I've made sure the Tip says Expr1 and the Ring says Expr2.  I've hit every expression pedal parameter I can find in the Stomp, carefully changing one variable at a time.  This is immensely frustrating, and I hope Line6 either provides some clear guidance or fixes the problem in the upcoming 2.80 update.

• 6 months later...

I am running a TRS to two mono (Tip & Ring) out to a Boss FS-5U switch and Mission Engineering SP-1. No matter how I set up the SP-1 (using it as a volume controller) it peaks at 100% in the middle of the rock, and zeroes out at either end of the rock. This is a huge issue because it naturally rests at the high end of the rock, so I get no volume from the patch. I have attempted to set it up in multiple ways. I have changed it from EXP1 to EXP2. I have changed it from Tip to Ring. I have set it up as a controller for the channel volume of the amp. I have set it up as a block volume pedal. All have the same results. Does anyone have any idea what is going on? I am on (what is now the current) patch 2.82. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/9/2019 at 3:15 PM, cchimi said:

Any joy on this yet?  I'm using the same setup as Macnevine.  Same DOD pedals, same sort of TRS to TS Y-cable.  The DOD pedals have a 3-way switch; its middle position is labeled TS and makes the pot 10k ohm.  The pedals will register movements on the Stomp correctly, but they both are read as EXPR 2.  If both are connected, neither will be seen as EXPR 1.  I've checked continuity on the  Y-cable, and it is correct.  The pedals seem to meet the requirements of the Line6 expression pedal standard.  But they cannot  be made to act independently of each other.

It's always possible I'm doing something wrong.  But this sure seems like a firmware issue to me.  I've tried inverting polarities, I've made sure the Tip says Expr1 and the Ring says Expr2.  I've hit every expression pedal parameter I can find in the Stomp, carefully changing one variable at a time.  This is immensely frustrating, and I hope Line6 either provides some clear guidance or fixes the problem in the upcoming 2.80 update.

Did you solve this problem ? Those DOD's seem perfect ... One would control my wah, the other to blend in lead !

Raf

No, never solved it on the Stomp itself.  Maybe  I was doing something wrong, or maybe it's been fixed in the firmware, though.  I got around it by using a MorningstarFX MC6 MKII pedal along with the  Stomp.  That allowed me to plug both expression pedals in to the MC6 and assign them (through MIDI) to EXPR1 and EXPR2 on the Stomp.  Since the MC6 was useful in other ways, I did not begrudge the extra pedal, but it really should have been fixable directly on the Stomp with no monkey business.

As an aside, unlike Line6, MorningstarFX are remarkably responsive to tech support emails.  I found a problem with how the MC6 was responding to MIDI messages from my Helix Floor, and they almost immediately rewrote the firmware to address that problem and sent me a personalized copy of the firmware.  Once I confirmed the problem was fixed, they did some testing and the firmware update was released to everybody a day or two later.  That's customer service.