Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Save a Block by using?

macnevine

Hi Does anyone see any reason why I should not set the min max levels with my expression pedal on the end of the chain "Output MAin L/R" to like Min.  -30db (vol off)   and Max- +5db (or something like that- Volume on)?  This would allow me to not have to use a vol. pedal block to control my instrument level.  However, I am new to helix and I am not sure if this will be a viable solution for the level out when playing live for reasons unknown at this time.  Thanks for any thoughts.

The only problem I see with this method is that your volume is going to kill all delay and reverb trails. Normally you would run a volume pedal before delay/reverb. Your approach is common, but mis-placed. Try controlling the output level of the amp model.... or the output level of an always on effect that is prior to delay and reverb.

On my HD500 I used to put the volume pedal on the amp model output... but that was because I only had 8 blocks to work with. In theory you could run 32 blocks on a Helix. Finding a spot for a Volume Pedal shouldn't be too hard :) 

That is what I needed to know and to think about- so thanks.  I like your idea about controlling the AMP volume.  I just do not want to lose any gain on the amp when I lower the volume.  Does every amp model have a volume pod that can be lowered without losing gain?  If so that will work for me.  I can't afford the full sized helix and I am going for a smaller footprint but I do love what i see in the full sized Helix.  

Channel Volume on amps allows you to change the volume without affecting tone. But like codamedia said, that will also affect the input level for the next block after the amp which may affect tone.

Your original plan of controlling the output block level would work fine with this. No need for an actual volume block - just assign the output level parameter to an expression pedal or similar. Just remember you might want to limit the max - I think they go to +20dB which might blow your ears out with the expression pedal at 100%. Just wet the max to something lower than that.

Thanks for this advice.  I tested the output from about +4db max  to about -100db (min/silent) and I did not notice any loss of trails on the effects when I quickly decrease the volume so I think this may work.  I guess in all my presets I just need to make sure my +DB is set similarly so my line out stays consistent between patches clean and dirty etc....