Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects Digital sounding on 4 cable method

vorphallack

What's your opinion on the HX Effects in the loop?

I Have and ENGL Blackmore amp and when i use the HX my tone sounds very digital and my amp itself has a very warm tone which i love, my G Major 2 doesn't do that, HX sucks my tone and make it sound like a modeller, that's why i choose the HX bc i hate amp simulators and i only wanted the midi, effects, and Relay switching but the tone sucking issue makes me wanna send it back and buy another G Major 2 for effects....

please let me know if I'm missing something 

14 hours ago, vorphallack said:

What's your opinion on the HX Effects in the loop?

I Have and ENGL Blackmore amp and when i use the HX my tone sounds very digital and my amp itself has a very warm tone which i love, my G Major 2 doesn't do that, HX sucks my tone and make it sound like a modeller, that's why i choose the HX bc i hate amp simulators and i only wanted the midi, effects, and Relay switching but the tone sucking issue makes me wanna send it back and buy another G Major 2 for effects....

please let me know if I'm missing something 

It was designed to be used in a loop. So my opinion is it's awesome.

Without more information, I can't really diagnose what your problem is. It definitely shouldn't "suck" your tone.  Is it possible when you were unplugging your G Major 2, and intending to plug in your HX Effects, you accidentally plugged in a quantum singularity instead?

I would try the HX Effect directly in front of the amp and see if the problem exists there. If it's fine, at least you have narrowed it down to a loop problem between the HX and the Amp, not the unit itself. 

Are you sure you have all the in/out levels selected properly, and have have adjusted them as required? Each in/out/loop as a selector for "instrument or line"... plus they have send levels and return levels. Sometimes it takes a little effort to get it working optimally with your amp. 

3 minutes ago, codamedia said:

I would try the HX Effect directly in front of the amp and see if the problem exists there. If it's fine, at least you have narrowed it down to a loop problem between the HX and the Amp, not the unit itself. 

Are you sure you have all the in/out levels selected properly, and have have adjusted them as required? Each in/out/loop as a selector for "instrument or line"... plus they have send levels and return levels. Sometimes it takes a little effort to get it working optimally with your amp. 

^ this.  Check this.  When instrument and line level mismatches happen in a loop, the volume differences tend to cancel out but tone seems to suffer since your effects blocks won't always be getting the signal level they are expecting (in my experience).

It sounds like you're probably hearing comb filtering or phasing. The Blackmore has a knob beside its effects loops jack labeled "Dry Effect Balance". You'll want to make sure that's turned all the way to the right so the the loop is effectively a serial loop. If you have any dry signal mixed, the dry signal going through the HX Effects and through the amp will be out of phase with each and everything will sound bad.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jonandtice said:

^ this.  Check this.  When instrument and line level mismatches happen in a loop, the volume differences tend to cancel out but tone seems to suffer since your effects blocks won't always be getting the signal level they are expecting (in my experience).

yeah all of them are mix a 100 and send/return, same volume, IN/OUT set to Instrument

14 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

It was designed to be used in a loop. So my opinion is it's awesome.

Without more information, I can't really diagnose what your problem is. It definitely shouldn't "suck" your tone.  Is it possible when you were unplugging your G Major 2, and intending to plug in your HX Effects, you accidentally plugged in a quantum singularity instead?

the G major is connected as follow : (IN Gmajor Send/Blackmore) ( Out Gmajor - Return/Blackmore)