Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How do i save the Variax Settings with a Helix Tone Preset?

Maestro77

This is pretty basic. Have you read the manual? It's on page 21.Are you using your computer to edit? If you are, I think you may be addressing a pet peeve of mine. If you're using HX Edit, when you select the input in the blocks area, you begin with the Noise Gate tab. There is another tab labeled Variax. Click on that tab and all of the Variax parameters will show up. This always happen which bugs me. Generally I set the Noise Gate parameters once per patch but there's a good chance I will change the Varaix settings several times. I'm tired of constantly having to click on the Variax tab. When you select the input and you have the Variax connected via VDI, I want the Variax parameters to show up when I select the input block, not the Noise Gate parameters. Not a major big deal. Probably shouldn't even bug me. But it does.

On 1/22/2019 at 5:39 AM, Maestro77 said:

How do i save the Variax Settings (Guitar, Tuning, Pickup etc.) with a Helix Tone Preset? 

As far as I know you can only save the Variax guitar preset and the tuning in a Helix preset. The pickup and other parameters you have to edit in Workbench HD and are saved in the Variax guitar itself. Otherwise, what Brue58ski and Mturner said.

2 minutes ago, Thark said:

As far as I know you can only save the Variax guitar preset and the tuning in a Helix preset. The pickup and other parameters you have to edit in Workbench HD and are saved in the Variax guitar itself. Otherwise, what Brue58ski and Mturner said.

The word 'pickup' may be ambiguous here. You can save the Variax pickup selector position in a Helix preset, but the actual pickup(s) being modeled (and their number, positions and orientation) are adjustable using Workbench.

Also in a Helix preset you can 'lock' the Variax Vol and Tone knobs so that these knobs can be reassigned as Helix FX parameter controllers instead of controlling the Variax volume and tone.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, silverhead said:

The word 'pickup' may be ambiguous here. You can save the Variax pickup selector position in a Helix preset, but the actual pickup(s) being modeled (and their number, positions and orientation) are adjustable using Workbench.

Agreed. “Pickup seledtion” might have better.

12 hours ago, silverhead said:

Also in a Helix preset you can 'lock' the Variax Vol and Tone knobs so that these knobs can be reassigned as Helix FX parameter controllers instead of controlling the Variax volume and tone.

How cool is that! When I started playing I had Fender, Gibson and Japanese junk to choose from ... and it was junk, at the time. I still have my Aria bass from 1969. Now we live in science fiction times with all this neat gear. :)