Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

A question about Workbench

FCerha

I have used a Variax 600 for 8 years or so, and also got a JTV-59 Variax. I have very little experience from working in Workbench, and have a few questions. Please bear with me.

Does the old Workbench have the option to adjust string levels?
Is the Workbench HD only for the new generation of Variaxes?
Where can I find a guide for Workbench/Workbench HD?

The reason I am asking is that I have a friend who also has a Variax 600. He says the 1st string is almost dead. I had this idea that this could possibly be adjusted in workbench, but I guess I am wrong.

Fredrik

When you have old WB open and connected to guitar look under one of the top menus for string volume level.  Adjusting this will save to guitar firmware and as noted it's a global setting.  Perhaps the E string volume on your friend's Vax was somehow corrupted or saved inadvertently.  

However, more likely a bad piezo bridge element and/or associated wiring.  They're very delicate and if the guitar breaks a string and/or someone isn't careful while changing strings the wiring in/out of the bridge piezo can be easily damaged.  

OMT - not to nit-pick but it's a common misconception - Variax Standard = the newer Yamaha built guitars using HD software like the JVT.  Topics about Generation 1 Variax (simply Workbench) best addressed here - https://line6.com/support/forum/38-variax-guitars-bass-workbench/