Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using A Tube Amp With Helix

nstege

Hey Everyone,

First off I am new to these forums so I am sorry if this question has already been answered. I had a hard time finding an answer for it so I figured I would ask.

I just recently bought a Line 6 Helix LT and it is on its way to me. I know you can use Helix as just a pedal board with effects through a tube amp via the "4CM" (Four Cable Method), and that would work for me when I jam with buddy's. But with my Fender Hot Rod Deville it is hard to play that in my bedroom and sound good. SO, finally to the question. I was just wondering if this is even possible I don't know?  

Can I take my Fender amp "head" and unplug it from the 4-10 speakers and use the amp "head" as an amp in Helix and combine that with a 4x10 cab model? then I could just output that through a nice pair of headphones and I could play my nice tube amp in the middle of the night and not bother anyone? It almost sounds too good to be true. But in my head I think it could work! 

Let me know what you think!

22 hours ago, nstege said:

Hey Everyone,

First off I am new to these forums so I am sorry if this question has already been answered. I had a hard time finding an answer for it so I figured I would ask.

I just recently bought a Line 6 Helix LT and it is on its way to me. I know you can use Helix as just a pedal board with effects through a tube amp via the "4CM" (Four Cable Method), and that would work for me when I jam with buddy's. But with my Fender Hot Rod Deville it is hard to play that in my bedroom and sound good. SO, finally to the question. I was just wondering if this is even possible I don't know?  

Can I take my Fender amp "head" and unplug it from the 4-10 speakers and use the amp "head" as an amp in Helix and combine that with a 4x10 cab model? then I could just output that through a nice pair of headphones and I could play my nice tube amp in the middle of the night and not bother anyone? It almost sounds too good to be true. But in my head I think it could work! 

Let me know what you think!

Yes you can. Plug the Helix into the Power Amp In on your Hot Rod Deville - then unplug the Speaker Output on

the Deville Head - plugin a speaker cable in it's place and plug it into the  4 x 10 cabinet of your choice.

Make sure you match the Ohms of the new cabinet to the Ohms output of the Deville. IOWs if the Deville

output is 8 Ohms then the new  cabinet has to be 8 Ohms. 

4 hours ago, Papanate said:

Yes you can. Plug the Helix into the Power Amp In on your Hot Rod Deville - then unplug the Speaker Output on

the Deville Head - plugin a speaker cable in it's place and plug it into the  4 x 10 cabinet of your choice.

Make sure you match the Ohms of the new cabinet to the Ohms output of the Deville. IOWs if the Deville

output is 8 Ohms then the new  cabinet has to be 8 Ohms. 

That's all true, but it's not what he was asking. He doesn't want to connect a different real 4x10 cabinet to the amp... he wants to disconnect the speakers entirely, use the preamp section of the amp for his core tone, then add a cab sim and monitor through headphones so he's not waking the whole neighborhood at 3 am. That scenario would leave no load on the amp's power section... the end result would be a smoldering 4x10 combo and a visit from the fire department.

30 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

That's all true, but it's not what he was asking. He doesn't want to connect a different real 4x10 cabinet to the amp... he wants to disconnect the speakers entirely, use the preamp section of the amp for his core tone, then add a cab sim and monitor through headphones so he's not waking the whole neighborhood at 3 am. That scenario would leave no load on the amp's power section... the end result would be a smoldering 4x10 combo and a visit from the fire department.

Oh...so he just needs something like a Suhr Reactive Load - which will allow him to accomplish his idea.