Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Triggering patches in hd500 via midi

mvarrone995

Hey guys. My band recently got a program called Showbuddy which will be controlling our entire lightshow and backing tracks. All of our songs have been pre-programmed with cues for the lights. This program also does midi cues as well so I thinking of using it to cue up all of my patch changes within my hd500x so I never have to touch it all show. Has anyone done with this specific program before? 

I did some research on the subject. You can send midi notes from the POD to show buddy to cue up your backing tracks and start and stop them. That probably won't work well with what you're looking to do? If you're using DMXIS, I would use a foot controller plugged into the DMXIS dongle to utilize Next Song/Prev Song and Start/Stop. In your preprogrammed backing tracks you set midi markers throughout the song to send commands to your POD. 

Program Change commands in ShowBuddy will control the POD's bank #. So for instance let's say in your first song you want to use Pod patch 1A. In ShowBuddy you'd open the first song's backing track and insert a midi Program change = 1. Program change numbers will correspond with your Pod's patch numbers. For instance, Prog1=pod patch 1A, Prog2=pod patch 1B and so on down the line. CC notes control FS1-FS8. The manual specifies which CC note # corresponds to FS1-FS8. You'll add those notes throughout your backing tracks. This will allow you to control patch or effects changes within a song. I really should purchase Showbuddy and do this. Once a song gets started you'll never have to tap dance to control patches/effects/lighting cues or anything. 

Have not used Showbuddy but yes you shouldn't have to touch your controller if you don't want to. Brokenbones has brought some good info. My question is are you wanting to take over running the entire show (start/stop) and have your changes triggered or are you wanting to be hands off and just play? My guess is the latter. If so, you just have to get your device into the MIDI chain into your MIDI In connector, choose a MIDI Channel that only your device will listen to commands on, and then have a solid list of changes you want made in the show. The director / producer / technician is not going to read your documentation for you, so you have to list every possible change and which MIDI Note or CC or Program Change you want when. My approach is organize the set list, never change it, get the Program Change at the start of each 'song' and then Note Values per footswitch I want to be triggered at the start of the Chorus or whatever.

Sorry I can't help with ShowBuddy. I love that bands are doing this.

Thanks for the advice guys!! Yes the goal is the set up my hd500 towards back of stage and never touch it. I’d like to get every single patch change cued up thru Showbuddy since that program is already controlling our light rig and tracks. Main reasons are 1# I love technology haha and 2 I’m tired of drunk college kids spilling their beers all over my board. Honestly, for the amount of abuse my hd500 has taken in the past 2 years...it’s holding up quite well. Well minus the two times my expression pedal snapped off lol. Super glue works every time. 

Great. All you really need is explained on B•2 in the HD500 Manual.

https://l6c-acdn2.line6.net/data/6/0a06434dc1a55085c5d6532bf/application/pdf/POD HD500 Advanced Guide v2.10 ( Rev A ).pdf

• Footswitches 1 - EXP are CC# 51-59.

• Loading a Patch is on page B•3 - "Load a Preset within the current Set List: Send a Program Change message (Value 0-63 for Preset 01A - 16D) for the desired Preset within the current Set List."

• 4 weeks later...