Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LT USB Cable electric shocks

EooN

I have my Helix LT connected to a power strip which then runs into a double wall outlet. The power strip has its own on/off switch. 

When the Helix gets power from the power strip (the unit itself is off) I get electric shock (nothing too crazy) when I touch the USB A end of the cable. I also see "electric sparks" and my HDMI output goes wonky (momentarily) sometimes when I try to connect the cable to my Macbook and I thouch the metal enclosure of the laptop. 

Is this something that the unit does? Could this be caused by the outlets or the power strip? Is this a sign of a faulty LT? 

PS. I am not sure if the cable I'm using is the Line6 one that came in the box. It's black, has that barrel-shaped thing next to the connector on the Helix side. 

1 hour ago, EooN said:

I have my Helix LT connected to a power strip which then runs into a double wall outlet. The power strip has its own on/off switch. 

When the Helix gets power from the power strip (the unit itself is off) I get electric shock (nothing too crazy) when I touch the USB A end of the cable. I also see "electric sparks" and my HDMI output goes wonky (momentarily) sometimes when I try to connect the cable to my Macbook and I thouch the metal enclosure of the laptop. 

Is this something that the unit does? Could this be caused by the outlets or the power strip? Is this a sign of a faulty LT? 

PS. I am not sure if the cable I'm using is the Line6 one that came in the box. It's black, has that barrel-shaped thing next to the connector on the Helix side. 

I can think of only one scenario where an electrical shock and sparks flying about would be "desirable"... and that scenario may or may not involve a last minute reprieve from the governor. ;)

Shocks and sparks are never normal. Ever... lol. I won't pretend to know what the problem is, but strange things are afoot somewhere. There's nothing special about the USB cable that comes with the Helix. It's the same thing as the vast majority USB printer cables. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

I can think of only one scenario where an electrical shock and sparks flying about would be "desirable"... and that scenario may or may not involve a last minute reprieve from the governor. ;)

Shocks and sparks are never normal. Ever... lol. I won't pretend to know what the problem is, but strange things are afoot somewhere. There's nothing special about the USB cable that comes with the Helix. It's the same thing as the vast majority USB printer cables. 

I never used the word "desirable" in my original message. I am  s h o c k e d  by your ignorance!

:D

But seriously, good one jmp22684.

The unit functions just as usual, no freezes or other oddities. Maybe it's some sort of a weird wallwart thing that's happening? 

Check the humidity in your room. If it’s too low (i.e. below 20%) you will get tiny electric shocks from everything you touch that is connected to a power line. Also check your shoes! Chucks or any kind of sneakers with rubber soles are very bad! Leather boots are better.

This is no joke! I have those problems here in my Studio all the time in winter, when the heating is on. In Summer it gets better.

• Upvote 1

We're sorry to see this happen with your LT. Try multiple power strips, outlets and USB cables if possible to weed those out. Also try a different location altogether. If the shocks continue regardless of what's being used with the LT or where, please contact us with a ticket for repair options: www.Line6.com/support/tickets.