Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp - Using 2 IR blocks (Parallel)

thebluesman666

Hey guys,  I'm new to the HELIX familly I did a research on YouTube and Google and I can't fin any information about this.

I wish to use 2 block with IR (1024) in parallel.

Any help on how to do so would be appreciated.

My Goal :

Is to mix 2 mic within the same preset. Example mix a 57 with a 121.

How do you set it up ?

(2 block using 1024 IR)

How do you blend the 2 ? (mono input and output)

(Using Split  Y, (Pan left, right ) or Split Y A/B?)

Cheers,

• thebluesman666 changed the title to HX Stomp - Using 2 IR blocks (Parallel)

It's really not too complex, though I understand that it can seem like it is. The Stomp's default settings will basically do it for you.  

Create your signal chain with your starting amp block (no cab). Then for your next two blocks input the IRs that you want to use. Now, select the first IR and drop it (if it's using the Stomp itself to edit, then you select the block and chain its path to path B, if you're using the HX Edit software grab the block and pull it down to path B). 

Once that's complete, make sure the merge block is situated to be a point where the two IRs come together, but before any additional effects that you might want. 

Walla. You're set. 

Alright, thanks for your reply , 

Solution :

Use an Amp Block (no cab) then insert 2 IR blocks (1024). 

Drag an IR Block to Path B  

Make sure to move the merge point right after the Amp block then insert your FX.

Using this method your able to mix 2 speakers or 2 different mics. Make sure to use the Merge point options.

Cheers

• 4 months later...

Thank you for sharing this routing way, for single guitarist in the band have 1 amp model + 2 ir send to the foh is enough, or if capable i still can add eq after ir block on each path before merged.

But i still courious to know how if i also want a dry/amp only signal for monitoring, like from hx stomp send going into on-stage amp’s return?

2 hours ago, bob808 said:

Thank you for sharing this routing way, for single guitarist in the band have 1 amp model + 2 ir send to the foh is enough, or if capable i still can add eq after ir block on each path before merged.

But i still courious to know how if i also want a dry/amp only signal for monitoring, like from hx stomp send going into on-stage amp’s return?

All you'd do is use an FX send block placed after the amp block on the Stomp. Then connect the Stomp's "Send Stereo" port to the amp. 

20 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

All you'd do is use an FX send block placed after the amp block on the Stomp. Then connect the Stomp's "Send Stereo" port to the amp. 

After the fx send block, does hx stomp still capable of doing those 2 ir parallel? After each ir block in that parallel chain i plan to add an eq for some little tweak before send to foh.

19 minutes ago, bob808 said:

After the fx send block, does hx stomp still capable of doing those 2 ir parallel? After each ir block in that parallel chain i plan to add an eq for some little tweak before send to foh.

Yes. The chain would go: Amp Block >>>>> FX Send to real Amp >>>>> Split Paths to A and B >>>>> IR Block in Path A/IR Block in Path B  >>>>> EQ Block in Path A/EQ Block in Path B. 

This will max you out of your six blocks, but it will work. 

3 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

Yes. The chain would go: Amp Block >>>>> FX Send to real Amp >>>>> Split Paths to A and B >>>>> IR Block in Path A/IR Block in Path B  >>>>> EQ Block in Path A/EQ Block in Path B. 

This will max you out of your six blocks, but it will work. 

Thank you for your guidance...

Yes, its max out the hx stomp blocks , this will be my other consideration.

Actually, i don’t buy hx stomp yet, i am still on gathering informations.

My plan that, in our band which contains 1 guitarist & 1 bassist, we plan to do processing on modelling like helix line products.

Guitar will need an overdrive, amp block (send dry to on-stage amp’s return for monitoring purpose), 2 ir (for thicknes & lil bit of wide) & eq on each before send those to FOH.

Bass’es will also have parallel processing begin with split crossover to low (<200hz) and compress it quite hard and out to 1 dedicated output. The high (>200hz) will need a b7k block, amp block, ir block & eq block also go out to 1 dedicated output. So in total i need 4 output and 2 send (helix dry amp signal into on-stage amp returns).

I think of 2 hx stomp or a helix LT, which one can handle this processing. Do you have any suggestion?

13 minutes ago, bob808 said:

My plan that, in our band which contains 1 guitarist & 1 bassist, we plan to do processing on modelling like helix line products.

Guitar will need an overdrive, amp block (send dry to on-stage amp’s return for monitoring purpose), 2 ir (for thicknes & lil bit of wide) & eq on each before send those to FOH.

Bass’es will also have parallel processing begin with split crossover to low (<200hz) and compress it quite hard and out to 1 dedicated output. The high (>200hz) will need a b7k block, amp block, ir block & eq block also go out to 1 dedicated output. So in total i need 4 output and 2 send (helix dry amp signal into on-stage amp returns).

I think of 2 hx stomp or a helix LT, which one can handle this processing. Do you have any suggestion?

The tough answer to these questions is always "it depends."

The big advantage to an LT is that it can use A LOT more blocks. However, in your case you'd be cutting the DSP down somewhat because you'd be sharing it between two players. Making things even worse, the two players would have to keep from tripping each other or messing each other up if any type of changes were needed during or in between songs. 

My feeling is that as long as you are certain you can live on six blocks, you'd each be better off getting Stomp. This assumes that money doesn't allow for two LTs, or one LT and one Stomp. 

I loved my Stomp, and six blocks allows for a lot of possibilities (and who knows, in the future they might improve upon that six block limitation just a bit - but buy it for what it is now, now what it might be). Plus, the advantage of each player having their own controller with the HX Stomp, and not bumping into the other player, for outweighs the larger DSP advantage of the LT, IMO. 

9 hours ago, bob808 said:

I plan to do this in one LT unit, will this thing be possible?

1 hour ago, Kilrahi said:

Yes. 

I am still not sure on the bass parallel path.
If in guitar path the fx send block placed after the amp block before the split, how about bass path?

For bass, i like to give clean low & dirt channel independently to the FOH and let the sound guy mix it.

Does this posible:

Input>split crossover:
Parallel A 
(>200hz) >compressor block>b7k block>amp block>ir block>eq block> 1st LT’s 1/4” output
Parallel B(<200hz)>filter block for high pass>compressor block>2nd LT’s 1/4” output.
Where the fx send block will be placed for the bass player still can monitoring helix sound into the return of on-stage bass amp?

Well for that question I don't have an easy answer. Because you want to split up the bass signal and keep them split up there's no easy way for your bass player to hear it through monitors since no where in the signal path do you recombine them. 

At least, none that I can see.  

If you want it that complex you'd be better off having your bass player buy their own LT. An expensive proposition for a bass player, to be sure, but something has to give. Either budget or the complexity of the routing has to give somewhere. 

40 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

Well for that question I don't have an easy answer. Because you want to split up the bass signal and keep them split up there's no easy way for your bass player to hear it through monitors since no where in the signal path do you recombine them. 

At least, none that I can see.  

If you want it that complex you'd be better off having your bass player buy their own LT. An expensive proposition for a bass player, to be sure, but something has to give. Either budget or the complexity of the routing has to give somewhere. 

In other words,will be better if the bass signal aren’t split, merge them after the processing and give a fx send block before the 1/4” output so one of 1/4” send can be connected to on-stage bass amp return.

We have to carefully tweak & mix the parallel bass so the compressed low and dirt amp bass sound balance before merged and send to foh.

By the way, thank you very much Kilrahi for share your thought, i really appreciate that. 
At the end, looks like LT can possibly suit to our stringed instruments processing.