Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Native MIDI IN?

cchimi

I've had Helix Native for a couple of years, but really haven't used it  much.  I recently got the idea to use it when I play live in a duo with backing tracks.  My idea is to use it as a "global" plugin to an Audio cue in QLab (the software we use to run tracks and automate patch changes, etc.)  Native loads, but I cannot figure out how to make it respond to any MIDI messages at all.  Ideally, I'd like to have it respond to at least  program changes (to change patches in Native) and control changes (to change snapshots within some of those patches).  I don't seem to know how to set the MIDI IN port or channel.  I see MIDI IN at the bottom right, and assume that would show MIDI activity if there were any.  But it never lights or changes, no matter what I try to send it.  

While I want this to work within QLab, I've also tried creating a patch in Mainstage, and plugging Native into that patch, then sending Native MIDI messages from both QLab and from an external MIDI controller.  While the messages show at the top of Mainstage, no MIDI activity shows in the Native plugin.  I also tried plugging Native into an audio track in Logic Pro X, and creating a MIDI track with simple program changes, but I can't see how to link the MIDI files messages to affect an audio track (even though the audio track uses a supposedly MIDI-capable audio FX plugin).

Since I never see MIDI activity within Native, I start from the premise that I must be doing something wrong, or failing to understand something simple about Native.  I'd normally expect to see a Preferences option in which I could set the MIDI port and maybe channel for Native to use.  I don't see that anywhere in Native; am I missing it?  

I'm using Native 1.81.

Any help or advice would be appreciated,

Carl

Thanks for the reply, zolko60.  I have seen and read the article you link to.  Unfortunately, it doesn't really address how to set up Native for MIDI in the way I want to use it.  All I want to do is to send Program Change messages and CC 69 messages to Native to have it change patches and snapshots within patches.  I don't really need to control parameters within Native.  But I don't seem to be able to get Native to respond to ANY MIDI messages, no matter which program I plug it into.  So far, I've tried MainStage, Logic, Reaper, and the program I'd actually prefer to use it in, QLab.  The MIDI IN part of the Native screen never shows that any MIDI data has arrived.  And I see nowhere in Native where I can set up the MIDI ports, so I'm at a loss here.

I've got over 20 years experience with MIDI, know how to set up ports and channels, know how to set up MIDI controllers to send messages correctly.  I'm not a beginner, but I'd never claim to be an expert.  I assume other people on this forum have Native 1.81 installed and get it to respond to Program Changes and Control Changes easily and all the time.  I assume I'm missing something here.  But I can't see what it is.

Carl

• 10 months later...

I did resolve it, but I'm sorry to say that I can't remember how right now.  At the time, I was experimenting with the idea of using Native out live at gigs, but it didn't work smoothly on the older MacBook I had it on, so I gave up on the idea and went back to using my Helix Floor.  And forgot how to get MIDI into Native, sadly.  If I remember correctly, I was running Native inside MainStage, and it was a question of setting up Mainstage to send the MIDI into Native.

That wasn't difficult, once I figured it out, but figuring it out, for me, was more difficult than it should have been.  It would be nice if Native ran in a standalone mode. The difficulty I had was routing the MIDI through host program running the Native plugin.

If I can figure it out again, I'll write back in the next few days.  Got a recording session all day today.

What OS and host program are you using?