Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp - Headrush 108 or Yamaha THR10C?

csantost

Hi guys,

Have been following the threads ever since I got my stomp earlier this year but havent posted anything yet (mostly bc any answer I needed was covered already somewhere), but now I need some help from the more experienced to chose my first amp.Up until now I've only used the stomp via headphones and that works fine, but sometimes I just don't feel like using them and would rather have the sound coming out of speakers/amp instead. 

Because of my very limited space, I can't have anything big or which requires high volumes to function properly, so I've narrowed down my options to headrush108 and a yamaha thr10c. They both fit my budget and size restrictions.  I read reviews on both individually claiming good sound quality but not compared to each other.

So I would like to ask those that have had a chance to compare, which one sounded better when pairing with the stomp?

cheers

You're not lokely to see them compared because it's like comparing apple and oranges.

The THR10C is two 5 watt amps powering two 3 inch speakers in stereo. It's purpose designed as a very low volume, near-field practice amp. There's no FX loop, so your stomp is colored by the pre-amp. It does, however, have a USB port so you can record to your computer DAW.

The HR FRFR108 is 2000 watts into an 8 inch speaker and HF compression driver. It's purpose designed to deliver high spl to a large area. There's no USB port to connect to your computer.

If you're living in an apartment with grumpy neighbors or playing in your bedroom and don't want to wake the baby, the THR10C set clean, and/or with just FX from the stomp is probably your best bet.

If you're OK with 70+db and/or want to be able to jam with your friends, the FRFR108 will work.

Thks for that @rd2rk

I figured in terms of purpose they are very different and hence why its difficult to find any comparison. My intention is not to compare functionality each device has, but rather know which one sounds better within my practice environment (small flat) when paired with the stomp.

If irun the FRFR108 on a lower volume will the sound quality be better or worse than running it via the THR10c on the flat preset or aux input?  

cheers

26 minutes ago, csantost said:

Thks for that @rd2rk

I figured in terms of purpose they are very different and hence why its difficult to find any comparison. My intention is not to compare functionality each device has, but rather know which one sounds better within my practice environment (small flat) when paired with the stomp.

If irun the FRFR108 on a lower volume will the sound quality be better or worse than running it via the THR10c on the flat preset or aux input?  

cheers

Again, it's totally dependent on your specific environment.

Try this. You probably have a smartphone. Go to the app store and get a db or spl meter. Turn your stereo up to the loudest you'd ever want/dare to play your guitar at. What's the max db level you're seeing?

At my apt complex, the rule (8am-10pm) is that if your noise level is clearly audible out on the landing, it's too loud. That's about 70-80db inside measurement.

Taking into account Fletcher-Munson, I use the Contour switch on the back of my FRFR112 (+3db low/high boost), and it sounds OK.

After 10pm the level needs to go down to 50-60db (there's less ambient/external environmental noise). The FRFR112 makes enough noise that I can still have fun, but if I want to play along to backing tracks it's headphone time.

After midnight it's headphones only.

An FRFR108, having a smaller speaker, MIGHT sound better at lower levels. TBH, at lower levels the difference in the  QUALITY of the sound (FRFR112 vs Rokit6 studio monitors) is minimal, with the Rokits having a slight edge due to being stereo.

Lee Anderton (Anderton's Music) for many years raved about the sound of the THR10C which he used on the desk in his office.

Sorry I can't be more definitive. Try the db meter tests I described. Keeps me out of trouble!

ADD TO PREVIOUS:

In my first response I mentioned the difference between near-field and PA speakers.

Studio monitors (and small systems like the THR10C) are optimized to sound best with the listener at a fixed position relative to the speakers.

For instance, with studio (near-field) monitors, the speakers should be 1.5-3 meters apart, with the listener's position being at the apex of a unilateral triangle with the speakers.

Obviously, the 3" speakers in the THR10C are not nearly so far apart, and the optimum listening position needs to be considered accordingly.

PA speakers like the HR FRFR series are intended to cover large areas. there's a minimum distance from the speakers where the sound of the speaker blends with the sound of the HF Driver. That ideal position will be farther from the speaker than in the case of near-field monitors.

When I'm playing through the Rokits I'm standing 5-6 feet away. The FRFR112 always sounds better from across the room.

I appreciate you taking the time to help and share your knowledge.

I did a DB metering as suggested and figured I'll probably stay on the 60 range and below, although during the day 70-80 would be tolerated I don't think I would be playing that loud by myself (my ears are a bit sensitive to high volumes).

I understand the near-field speaker explanation. In my case I would be able to have the THR very close, ie on top of the table and in case of an FRFR it could seat anywhere between 3 and 5 meters away.  Unfortunately I don't have a proper desk or office space to have a setup with desk monitors, otherwise that would have been my proffered option, so I have to make do with a few limitations. So I could go the near-field route, provided its a single unit, or the frfr/amp (medium to small). My only indecision right now is picking one that will sound best with the stomp.

I watch Andertons all the time and I recall them talking positively about the THR. They are usually quite fun to watch and have some nice jams to listen to.

60db is essentially the level of normal conversation.

Sounds to me like the THR10C might be your best bet. Stomp headphone out into the THR10C's AUX In will probably sound great. Stereo line outs would also work, try both and see what sounds best.

• Thanks 1

The THR10C in stereo at near field with the HX Stomp connected via the THR10C's AuxIn sounds outstanding! I have each and used them together plenty of times. Always brings a smile to my face. I also frequently run my HX Stomp w/ Headphones, or with a pair of JBL LSR305 or LSR308 if not with a pair of larger DXR10 Yamaha FRFR monitors or Fender Amps. For near field monitoring at low SPLs the THR10C's convenience (and that it can run on batteries for practice on its own), makes it a fantastic all in one unit for me. I've never tried the 8" FRFR Alto nor QSC nor Yamaha's 8" units. I really enjoy the THR10C's near field stereo imaging, and patching in backing tracks or playing along to YouTube vids is a blast. YMMV.  

For what its worth ... I use an Alto TS308, which is said to be (pretty much) identical to the Headrush. For home practice, or just for fun, it sounds fine to me. I take the speaker Also to band rehearsal and then crank it up. So, there's no real comparison to be made with studio monitors but the Headrus (or Alto) will give you a bit more flexibility in terms of use. Just my 2 cents .....