Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Looper and Backing tracks

solteroblues

Guys, brand new to Helix, just got my LT last Friday, and still quite staggered by the options.  I'm actually in the middle of comparing it to a Headrush Pedalboard, and have a question.  On the Headrush, it will let you load backing tracks directly to the looper, and let you play along that way.  Does the Helix allow that?  Right now, as I understand it, the only way you can play backing tracks through the Helix is by connecting your laptop (or phone) through the USB connection.

So far I'm really enjoying the Helix, it is lightyears ahead of the Headrush, but the Headrush has a few minor things that I wish the Helix could do (touchscreen not withstanding).

7 minutes ago, solteroblues said:

Guys, brand new to Helix, just got my LT last Friday, and still quite staggered by the options.  I'm actually in the middle of comparing it to a Headrush Pedalboard, and have a question.  On the Headrush, it will let you load backing tracks directly to the looper, and let you play along that way.  Does the Helix allow that?  Right now, as I understand it, the only way you can play backing tracks through the Helix is by connecting your laptop (or phone) through the USB connection.

So far I'm really enjoying the Helix, it is lightyears ahead of the Headrush, but the Headrush has a few minor things that I wish the Helix could do (touchscreen not withstanding).

It would have to be an extremely short backing track. The Helix can only store . . .something like a minute of mono or 30 seconds of stereo in the looper. 

I may not be exact on those numbers, but I'm pretty close. Best way currently is through the USB port. 

14 hours ago, solteroblues said:

You can also connect a mp3 player or something similar to the effect return.

Unfortunately the Helix looptime is really short. The Headrush Pedalboard allows 20 minutes per loop and 100 layers. But I think you can not load/save tracks to the looper, so it isn't a backing track player.

I own a Helix and recently bought a Headrush Looperboard (has a integrated backingtrack player). But at the moment I'm not happy with the Looperboard, because it has to many bugs(...waiting for the new firmware :(.

13 hours ago, solteroblues said:

ahh, ok, thanks!.  The Headrush allows up to 20 minutes per loop.  There are VERY few things that the HR can do that the Helix can't, but I guess this is one of them.

Hi,

If you need long layered loops then, the general opinion seems to be, the best thing to do is patch a dedicated looper into one of the send and return blocks. Gives you a lot more control and if you have a Boss RC-10R you get 6 hours of recording and a built in rhythm box, with 16 drum kits. 

There is a thread here about the Helix looper and why you should possibly use an external option.

46 minutes ago, scottwilliams said:

Hi - 

Can I send the recorded loop ONLY to headphones for the drummer so he can hear it clearly without the live guitar throwing him off the beat? 

Thanks!

Yes, you could do that. 

9 hours ago, datacommando said:

If you need long layered loops then, the general opinion seems to be, the best thing to do is patch a dedicated looper into one of the send and return blocks. Gives you a lot more control and if you have a Boss RC-10R you get 6 hours of recording and a built in rhythm box, with 16 drum kits. 

Okay I hadn't heard of that pedal, and can I just say, now I am wishing it was Christmas time!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Peter said:

You can also connect a mp3 player or something similar to the effect return.

Unfortunately the Helix looptime is really short. The Headrush Pedalboard allows 20 minutes per loop and 100 layers. But I think you can not load/save tracks to the looper, so it isn't a backing track player.

I own a Helix and recently bought a Headrush Looperboard (has a integrated backingtrack player). But at the moment I'm not happy with the Looperboard, because it has to many bugs(...waiting for the new firmware :(.

Actually, they just added the ability to play back tracks using the looper in the latest firmware... I haven't tried it, but that is one of the new features.  I have the Pedalboard now, but I'm sending it back.  I bought a used one, and as soon as I updated the firmware, it crashed and I had a hell of a time getting it to work again, so I bought a new one and a LT at the same time to compare, but the LT seems to be much better polished.

But thank you for the idea of going through the return, I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere else!