Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Wah Automatically Engaged on Power On??

joeplaysguitar2

I have a Helix with a wah block that I run with a Mission Engineering switchless/spring loaded pedal.  The wah is set to engage at 5%.  Everything works perfectly except every time I turn on the Helix, the wah block defaults to the active state, and I have to put my foot on the pedal and it will turn off once it goes back to the resting heal position.  I even copied the wah block and created a second for another identical pedal to run as a remote wah, and the copied block does not exhibit the same behavior.  I have tried to switch the pedals, and nothing changes the behavior.  It's not a big deal, but it is a minor annoyance.  It works perfectly otherwise.  Any ideas?

14 minutes ago, joeplaysguitar2 said:

I even copied the wah block and created a second for another identical pedal to run as a remote wah, and the copied block does not exhibit the same behavior.

Who knows... it's a computer, and computers get weird, patches get corrupted, etc. Sounds like you found the solution though... if the copied block works the way it should, just ditch the one that doesn't.

On 11/8/2019 at 11:39 AM, cruisinon2 said:

Who knows... it's a computer, and computers get weird, patches get corrupted, etc. Sounds like you found the solution though... if the copied block works the way it should, just ditch the one that doesn't.

So I went back and deleted the original block, and then copied and pasted the second block, which does not automatically engage upon power on; however, when I copied it back to where the orignal wah block was, it automatically engages upon power on.  Who knows...  It is a minor annoyance, so unless someone else has something to try, I will just deal with it.  It definitely seems to be something in the position.

To reiterate, wah in original position automatically engages upon powering on the Helix.  I copied the wah block and placed it one block to the right for a second wah.  The second block does not automatically engage upon boot.  I deleted the first block and copied the second one to the first block's original position, and that block again automatically engages upon boot.  Very strange.

On 11/8/2019 at 12:22 PM, joeplaysguitar2 said:

I have a Helix with a wah block that I run with a Mission Engineering switchless/spring loaded pedal.  The wah is set to engage at 5%.  Everything works perfectly except every time I turn on the Helix, the wah block defaults to the active state, and I have to put my foot on the pedal and it will turn off once it goes back to the resting heal position.  I even copied the wah block and created a second for another identical pedal to run as a remote wah, and the copied block does not exhibit the same behavior.  I have tried to switch the pedals, and nothing changes the behavior.  It's not a big deal, but it is a minor annoyance.  It works perfectly otherwise.  Any ideas?

Did you compare the assignments and parameter setting of the properly working block to the one that is turning on when you power up?  Also, would be curious if you set the percentage up to say 10%-15% if it still engages when you power up. In that case it might be something with the auto-calibration. Also, did you make sure you saved the preset with the wah not engaged?

On 11/15/2019 at 6:00 PM, HonestOpinion said:

Did you compare the assignments and parameter setting of the properly working block to the one that is turning on when you power up?  Also, would be curious if you set the percentage up to say 10%-15% if it still engages when you power up. In that case it might be something with the auto-calibration. Also, did you make sure you saved the preset with the wah not engaged?

I have compared the assignments and settings and everything is exactly the same except for the controller #.  I have not tried to change the percentage, so I might try that just for fun.  I have indeed saved the preset with the wah disengaged.

On 11/19/2019 at 10:18 AM, enjalt said:

Does it work if you save your preset with your Wah Block Bypassed by default?

Unfortunately, no.  It could be some kind of bug in the preset itself which has gone through several updates over time.  I play in a TSO tribute band, so I only break it out for updates and for about 7 shows during Christmas (I don't use it in practice), so I am honestly not even sure when the problem started.  I have indeed tried bypassing it and saving, but it comes right back on when I start it back up. 

As another interesting reference point, once it is on and I have moved the pedal to turn it off, if I change presets and come back to it, it is still off as expected.  It only comes on when I first turn on the Helix.

1 hour ago, joeplaysguitar2 said:

Unfortunately, no.  It could be some kind of bug in the preset itself which has gone through several updates over time.  I play in a TSO tribute band, so I only break it out for updates and for about 7 shows during Christmas (I don't use it in practice), so I am honestly not even sure when the problem started.  I have indeed tried bypassing it and saving, but it comes right back on when I start it back up. 

As another interesting reference point, once it is on and I have moved the pedal to turn it off, if I change presets and come back to it, it is still off as expected.  It only comes on when I first turn on the Helix.

Did you test to make your preset with the wah set on the intern pedal (EXP 1 or EXP 2)? It may juste be the compatibility between with your "mission engineering" pedal.

14 hours ago, enjalt said:

Did you test to make your preset with the wah set on the intern pedal (EXP 1 or EXP 2)? It may juste be the compatibility between with your "mission engineering" pedal.

The thing is though that I only use the built in pedal for volume.  Both of my wahs are on the exact same type of ME pedal, and I have switched them to see if anything changes.  The first wah block is engaged on power up no matter which ME pedal I use, and the second is always off as expected.

3 hours ago, joeplaysguitar2 said:

The thing is though that I only use the built in pedal for volume.  Both of my wahs are on the exact same type of ME pedal, and I have switched them to see if anything changes.  The first wah block is engaged on power up no matter which ME pedal I use, and the second is always off as expected.

may you share your preset ?  to test 

On 11/22/2019 at 1:53 AM, enjalt said:

may you share your preset ?  to test 

I know that this seems to have been confirmed as a bug that will be fixed eventually, but I am attaching the preset as I said I would if anyone wants to look into it further.  I have the built in expression pedal set as volume, and 2 and 3 are both wahs.

SEO.hlx

Hi i've test your preset , but it worked perfectly for me....
I even tested with only 1 block wah.

I'm on V2.81 for your info.

Anyway Test to just save your preset With Exp2 at 0.

When you'll restart your Helix , no matter where your wah position is, the block will be disengaged until you act on your exp 2.