Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Totally Confused Regarding 4cm :)

Goooner1

I've got a Blackstst Ht5 which was away for repair for a month, while it was gone I got myself an HD500X, which with no amp, I was playing through headphones and it sounded great. The Blackstar is now back and in full working order, so now I want to use the HD500 through the HT5.

What's the best way of doing it?

I've currently got it all set up using the 4CM, cable-wise at any rate. 

In the pod settings do I need to set the output to Combo Power Amp, Combo Front or something else?

Are there any other settings I need to change?

I've been watching 4CM videos on Youtube and only succeeded in confusing myself even more  :D

In one of them, I saw that you have to put the effects loop into the patch, I assume this is necessary so you're actually using the loop, otherwise why use the 4CM in the first place?

Should I be using the amp and or cab models from the pod  or just using the effects?

I mainly use a Variax JT59 but occasionally plug in other guitars too, which leads me onto another question, if I connect the Variax with a VDI cable it sounds different to if I connected it with a normal guitar cable, can't decide if either is better or worse than the other, but definitely different. Is there an input setting I should be changing?

As I said all this is totally confusing me, so please feel free to explain it to me like I'm an idiot :lol:

Thanks

The 4cm will allow you to utilizE the preamp/distortion/clean channel of the ht5 whilst taking advantage of the effects pedals on the hd.

You must use the efx loop in the signal chain which should allow you to switch back and forth between the hd amp sims and your ht5 preamp. Keep everything inside or outside the efx loop that you want to be able to switch between with the efx loop.

Honestly I can't speak to any real hard and fast rules regarding which output setting you should use on your pod....I just flip through the differnt output settings whilst playing and find a setting that sounds best for me.

Hope this gets you started.

SSS

• Upvote 1

Thanks.

After doing some more reading, I think I'm starting to get my head around it.

Add a loop to any patch, then if I want to use the Blackstar, I switch the loop on and the amp models off.

If I want to use the pod amp models, I turn the loop off and just use the Blackstar as a speaker, if you like.

Or the other way around! Still get them mixed up, but I think that's the general idea, isn't it?

I have the ht 5 too and found the distortion is not as good as the pod just me I either go right in the front on clean chanel and use the foot controller sometimes for a bost on the drive chanel, not using the fx loop saves dsp, also get a good wha out front to save dsp, I think this set up works for me and is very easy, if you find you have to use the 4 cable for what ever resonance and it works for you let me know, you will have vol drop and other headaches, not sure what all the fuss is about

• Upvote 1

Thanks for that.

Good to hear of a fellow HT5 users experience. I'll do a bit more experimentation just going through the front. Output set to front combo or whatever it is, I take it?

I've found that setting the 500X's outputs the "correct" way based on my amp/cab setup sounded like boiled a$$. I run studio/direct outs straight into a power amp. It may not be the "right" way to do it, but it's what sounds good to me...bottom line is there's no right or wrong here. Whatever sounds good to you is the way to go. The tweeking will go on forever anyway. What sounds good today might horrify you tomorrow :wacko:

• Upvote 1

I suppose that's it at the end of the day, right way or wrong way, it's what sounds best to you is all that matters, however you get there.

Just so long as I can't blow anything up sticking the wrong lead in the wrong hole, I'll have a play about at the weekend when I've got more time and see what works best :)

i think the best (flat) output opcion in general, is studio/direct... i think this is because this option has to be the more flat for use the modeling preamps...for me i only use studio/direct for all my applications (1-using the pod in front of the amp as a "virtual pedalboard" no preamps just effects, 2-using the pod as a standalone preamp in the return of my amp (cabs sims off),3-using the pod as effects unit in the effect loop of my amp no preamp just effects...

For all this applications i select  studio/direct output

• Upvote 1