Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

No way to pan stereo cab without wasting block?

bypassvalve

Is there really no way to pan a stereo cab without wasting a block? You have to use up a volume block or some other throwaway to get path B active, then pan the stereo cab output with the mixer dots. Stereo cab has level for each but no pan...

btw I've been jacking with AFX3 for two years, i just got a HX stomp, and i haven't been this satisfied with a piece of gear in my entire life. Everything sounds and f e e l s amazing right from the get go, and tweaks only make it better, it's hard to get a bad sound out of it. I was ready to invest 6 hours getting all my good OH IRs imported, but the cabs and mic positioning is BLOWING MY MIND with how good all the mics and positions are, even the condensers are 100% usable when you adjust mic distance. There are absolutely zero throw away settings, and each individual half inch opens up just the right scoop and high end, tapering off the right amount of volume and lows...somebody(s) put the right kind of work in on all that and it sounds AMAZING. It's also sitting in front of me running off a 9v ripcord and a USB power bank LMFAO.

And a simple delay in parallel path, 3ms 66% feedback at 31% mix? HOLY lollipop. How about micro delays in the mixer dots so they don't eat up a block? Just need up to 10ms, but you need all the 0.1 ticks between 0 to 10. Otherwise you have to waste two simple delay blocks, one for the 1/10 ms and another for the single ms...or bust out the zoia.

33 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

You likely mean a DUAL Cab. AFAIK, they are not stereo. It's just like mixing two cabs into a mono signal.

Im pretty sure they are hard panned by default....but no, no way to pan them off the top of my head. One of a few important oversights in Helix.

Edit to the OP:  nope no way to adjust the pan without another block. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, s0000i0000y said:

They aren't hard panned coming out of the cab, if you make a path B and hard pan the splitter, and also hard pan the mixer dot, it sounds lollipopin glorious, it just wastes a block to have to make a path B

For the dual cab block, at least on the Helix Floor, they are indeed hard panned left and right by default. I just tested it to be sure.

If you're using a MONO volume block to create the split path, and you're hearing a difference there, then what you're actually hearing is one of the paths being collapsed to a mono (center-panned) signal before it gets mixed back into the other cab, which is still hard panned. If you like that sound, you can get a similar result without the split, and by using the 'Stereo Width' block under the Stereo category of the Volume/Pan effects.

Also, keep in mind that if you put any MONO blocks after ones that produce a stereo signal, your signal will get collapsed back to MONO again.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, willjrock said:

Im pretty sure they are hard panned by default....but no, no way to pan them off the top of my head. One of a few important oversights in Helix.

Edit to the OP:  nope no way to adjust the pan without another block. 

9 minutes ago, qwerty42 said:

For the dual cab block, at least on the Helix Floor, they are indeed hard panned left and right by default. I just tested it to be sure.

If you're using a MONO volume block to create the split path, and you're hearing a difference there, then what you're actually hearing is one of the paths being collapsed to a mono (center-panned) signal before it gets mixed back into the other cab, which is still hard panned. If you like that sound, you can get a similar result without the split, and by using the 'Stereo Width' block under the Stereo category of the Volume/Pan effects.

Also, keep in mind that if you put any MONO blocks after ones that produce a stereo signal, your signal will get collapsed back to MONO again.

I stand corrected. Just tested on Stomp, they are indeed panned hard left and hard right.

• Like 1

it is already hard panned coming out of the dual cab. i assumed it was a mix, to test it out i put a stereo volume block on path B, which i guess grabbed a stereo copy of the dual cab block, which mixed with itself on path A. Then when i went to hard pan the splitter dot, it sent just cab A to left and cab B to right again, it spread back out and sounded great, just at the louder volume since it was being doubled. It's exactly how it sounded coming out of the cab block, just louder. If you just turn down cab A or B, the left/right channel goes dead so yeah it's already hard panned. 

• Like 1