Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Unbalanced string levels, something wrong with the piezos?

Tisi73

Hello,

I also have a Variax standard.
In modeling mode, I noticed that the b and high e strings are much quieter than the others, so it sounds totally unbalanced.
Have now adjusted the string levels, had to take up to -6db on the other strings (in the software) so that something decent comes out.
Is this normal or is there something wrong with the piezos on the b and e strings?
Maybe someone knows some advice.
Thank you and greetings

Timo,

54 minutes ago, Tisi73 said:

Hello,

I also have a Variax standard.
In modeling mode, I noticed that the b and high e strings are much quieter than the others, so it sounds totally unbalanced.
Have now adjusted the string levels, had to take up to -6db on the other strings (in the software) so that something decent comes out.
Is this normal or is there something wrong with the piezos on the b and e strings?
Maybe someone knows some advice.
Thank you and greetings

Timo,

Normal? Technically no, and in a perfect world a matched set of piezos would all have the same output, but in reality they're gonna vary...sometimes a lot. That's why Workbench exists. Don't use the global string volumes to correct it though... some models will exhibit this problem more than others...the Strat model is often the worst offender. Go into each individual model and balance the relative volumes of each string, and save it to the guitar. Otherwise you're likely to find that the balance that works for one model will throw one or more of the others all out of whack.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

My Variax 600 has that issue. But not my Variax Standard.
And for me it's not the piezos, I swapped the piezos of the high E string and the G string, but nothing changed, B and high E strings are still way quieter compared to the rest, in all models. The difference is stronger with the Stratocaster and Telecaster models.

Cotton swab and 99% isopropyl alcohol,... drip onto the saddle assembly, let it work itself in,

then blow it out with canned air. Repeat as needed.

The saddle acts as a chassis ground for the piezo, so if dust or debris gets i there, it can result in intermittent connecting.