Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Chasing this Fender tone - any input?

aaronpenton

I realize Sam is using 2 actual Fender amps, a Bassman and a Vibroking. I believe he's just using the Helix for effects here. Both amps (each on their own and blended) have that thick, punchy tone. I tried a few Bassman and other Fender amps in the Helix, through various OwnHammer IRs. I can't get even close - they all sound farty - no punch or tightness. Any recommendation to get close to this tone (at 1:04 and on). I realize a lot if it is in his hands (he's a badass) but can anyone recommend how to get close to this tone in the Helix? I have the OwnHammer Core Tone Bundle. 

Did you notice the Dual Pitch effect? He only hs two effects on at the same time at beginning of 1:04. One is a Red Squeeze compressor I believe. He keeps adding effects as he plays. Perhaps that has something to do with the tone he's getting. You can see the settings of the first page of the Dual Pitch effect.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Yes, I should've been more clear - it's the initial tone I'm after, although as he adds fx it sounds great too, but I'm after that initial clean, punchy Fender tone. I haven't tried the dual pitch effect - not even sure what it is, I'll check it out.

I'll try the Bassman with those settings as well.

I had 5 min to find something similar and found the Tweed BluesNrm to be a good choice.

Settings I liked are stock amp/cab with these changes:

Drive 2.5
Bass 6.5
Mid 7.0
Treble 7.0
Presence 7.0
Ch Vol 6.5

Dist 1.0"
Low Cut 130Hz

Played with my Tele on the neck position and rolled back tone on guitar a fair bit.

Spring reverb for some spice. Try it in front of the amp, too!

Some of the compression we hear is probably due to the some limiting from the phone that guy recorded with.

Btw, in the end of the video he shows his amps: Vibro King and Bassman '59.

12 minutes ago, Schmalle said:

Some of the compression we hear is probably due to the some limiting from the phone that guy recorded with.

It's quite a lot of compression he dialed in though. From 1:04 to 1:08 you can hear the sound without compression, after that it's activated (Red Squeeze) and stays on for this passage of the video. Stays active at least until 2:13.

• Upvote 1