Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Preset button on Floor not working

richardfwagner

I just took possession of a used Floor that appears to be in pretty good shape. Everything seems to be working fine but the PRESET button will not take me into Setlists when it is pressed. It does cycle between presets when rotated, so that part is fine. But nothing happens when it's pressed. Tried pressing harder and softer, no luck. Is it possible I'm just being dumb and there's some setting that might affect this? Or is it likely just a broken mechanism?

Thanks,

Richard

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, richardfwagner said:

I just took possession of a used Floor that appears to be in pretty good shape. Everything seems to be working fine but the PRESET button will not take me into Setlists when it is pressed. It does cycle between presets when rotated, so that part is fine. But nothing happens when it's pressed. Tried pressing harder and softer, no luck. Is it possible I'm just being dumb and there's some setting that might affect this? Or is it likely just a broken mechanism?

Thanks,

Richard

If the presets are showing pressing the "Preset" button should select a preset as you may have observed. Whether or not the presets are showing next to the setlists depends on what state the "Preset" menu was left in since your last use. In the state you are describing(presets are showing next to selected setlist), after pressing the "Preset" button if you want to change setlists you now need to use the large joystick button to the right of the "Preset" button and rock it to the left to get into setlist selection.  You can then continue by turning the joystick to your preferred setlist and click the joystick(or the "Preset" button if you prefer excessive hand motion, hint: don't do this) to select your setlist, rock back right to the presets which will now be displayed, and then  scroll to the preset you want and click(again using the joystick).

So, to sum up, start playing with both the "Preset" button and the joystick to navigate between setlists and presets. You can also use HX Edit or the footswitches but that is another chapter.

Hmmm, my problem though is that I can’t get to the Setlist view to begin with. IOW, I am in the main Home screen view, the screen shows the signal path of the currently selected preset. My understanding is that pressing the preset button should show me the Setlists - at which point I could use the joystick to navigate. In my case, nothing at all happens when I press the preset button.

47 minutes ago, richardfwagner said:

Hmmm, my problem though is that I can’t get to the Setlist view to begin with. IOW, I am in the main Home screen view, the screen shows the signal path of the currently selected preset. My understanding is that pressing the preset button should show me the Setlists - at which point I could use the joystick to navigate. In my case, nothing at all happens when I press the preset button.

Hmm, you said in your original post that the "Preset" button is cycling between presets but you were not able to get to the setlists. How did you get to the setlist/presets screen in the first place if it was not by clicking the "Presets" button?  Are you using HX Edit? Are you by any chance confusing the terminology of setlists/presets with the block categories and effect blocks?

When working normally pressing the "Preset" button will show you either just the setlists or the setlists & the presets depending on how the combination of "Preset" button and joystick was last used since you turned the Helix on. If you are seeing only presets and not setlists something is wrong.  If you are able to click the "Preset" button and that gets you into the setlists/presets menu but then you can't select a preset by clicking a second time that would lead me to believe it is a problem that a global reset or refreshing the firmware might fix as the physical button seems to still be working. Otherwise you would not have been able to get into the setlists/presets menu with your initial click.

Have you tried using the joystick to the right after your initial click on the "Preset" button as I recommended in my previous post?  If that does not work the next thing I would try is a backup and global reset. If that does not work it is time to download/install the latest version of HX Edit and then update/reinstall the latest and version number matched firmware. 

If none of the above works it is probably time to open a support ticket with Line6. They can assist you in walking through this if it is simply a firmware issue or dealing with a repair if the "Preset" button is malfunctioning.

7 hours ago, richardfwagner said:

Or is it likely just a broken mechanism?

Thanks,

Richard

Hi Richard,

If your “PRESET” joystick selector does not perform as shown in this video, you may need to have it checked out. It is not unknown for the tags on the joystick to require re-soldering. Not a big job, but possibly  best if done by a Line 6 authorised service department, even if it is out of warranty as you say it is a pre-owned item.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, zappazapper said:

He's saying the preset button cycles through presets in the HOME VIEW, I think. He'd have to be able to press the preset button to get to the preset LIST, then use the joystick to navigate. 

Sounds like you have a bad part. 

Exactly, this is my issue. I can’t press the button to get to the lists in the first place. The joystick works just fine in other contexts. 

I’ll try a factory reset. It’s already on 2.91. If the reset doesn’t work, sounds like it’s time to contact support.

Thanks all for your help!

2 hours ago, richardfwagner said:

Exactly, this is my issue. I can’t press the button to get to the lists in the first place. The joystick works just fine in other contexts. 

I’ll try a factory reset. It’s already on 2.91. If the reset doesn’t work, sounds like it’s time to contact support.

Thanks all for your help!

Just so you know, I'm pretty sure you can use HX Edit to access the setlists, and if you select a preset in a different setlist that way, it should switch setlists on the unit also, even when not connected via USB. 

21 minutes ago, zappazapper said:

Just so you know, I'm pretty sure you can use HX Edit to access the setlists, and if you select a preset in a different setlist that way, it should switch setlists on the unit also, even when not connected via USB. 

Yup,  HX Edit is definitely working for changing setlists when the unit is connected. So it's not the end of the world. Just a bit disappointing on a newly acquired unit. I've been using the Stomp for almost a year now and have been loving it. And I'm very impressed with the Helix ecosystem as a whole. So I'm super excited to get a Floor and have zero limitations. Would love to get this resolved though.

Thanks again.

Quick update. I filed a support ticket and they got back to me within a couple hours. They suggested I remove the knob cap and try pressing the shaft directly. Sure enough, that worked. Then after replacing the knob shaft, the knob itself is working as expected, all good!

Perhaps the knob was pushed too far down on the shaft not leaving enough travel to engage the switch when pushed? In any case, its working now.

Like I said, I am very impressed with the Helix ecosystem :)

Thanks all for chiming in.

Richard

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4

3 hours ago, richardfwagner said:

Quick update. I filed a support ticket and they got back to me within a couple hours. They suggested I remove the knob cap and try pressing the shaft directly. Sure enough, that worked. Then after replacing the knob shaft, the knob itself is working as expected, all good!

Perhaps the knob was pushed too far down on the shaft not leaving enough travel to engage the switch when pushed? In any case, its working now.

Richard

8 hours ago, richardfwagner said:

It’s already on 2.91. ...

Glad to see this get resolved so favorably!  Just a heads up. The latest firmware version of the firmware is 2.92 so you may want to upgrade HX Edit and the firmware at some point. I would take some time first though getting familiar with what constitutes "normal" behavior on the Helix.  I can understand where you might want to spend a few days enjoying your now properly functioning Helix before attempting an update :-)

10 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

Glad to see this get resolved so favorably!  Just a heads up. The latest firmware version of the firmware is 2.92 so you may want to upgrade HX Edit and the firmware at some point. I would take some time first though getting familiar with what constitutes "normal" behavior on the Helix.  I can understand where you might want to spend a few days enjoying your now properly functioning Helix before attempting an update :-)

Thanks, yup. Per the support person’s recommendation, I did upgrade to 2.92. The ease of update via the Line6 Updater app is also quite impressive..

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/23/2020 at 8:37 PM, richardfwagner said:

Richard

Hey Richard,

thanks for sharing this information!

I just updated to 3.50, had the same issue and was already thinking about bringing the unit to the technician, but then I stumbled upon your post and that was the solution.

And I have to emphasize that Line 6 and the communitiy are awesome!

Cheers,

Peter

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...