Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using an amp/cab/IR

ReeV0

Hi guys,

I mainly play my HX Stomp through my TC RH750 amp and 212 cab. I've been putting an amp, cab and IR blocks at the end of my patches. Do I not need to do this since I'm already playing through an amp? I can't decide what sounds better

Or should I just use a bass preamp option on the Stomp? (I've never tried/used one before)

1 hour ago, ReeV0 said:

I can't decide what sounds better

But we can?

Conventional wisdom would say if you are running through an amp and cab then go pre-amp into power-amp only (or effects into front of amp).

However, what works for YOU is all that matters, so live a little.

1 minute ago, waymda said:

But we can?

Conventional wisdom would say if you are running through an amp and cab then go pre-amp into power-amp only (or effects into front of amp).

However, what works for YOU is all that matters, so live a little.

Thanks, I don't see a power-amp option in the Stomp, only a pre-amp?

2 hours ago, ReeV0 said:

Thanks, I don't see a power-amp option in the Stomp, only a pre-amp?

He means using a preamp model (as opposed to a full amp model), then running into your actual amp, or poweramp/cabinet rig, whatever you're using. There are no isolated poweramp models in there... they only exist as part of the full amp models. 

1 hour ago, cruisinon2 said:

He means using a preamp model (as opposed to a full amp model), then running into your actual amp, or poweramp/cabinet rig, whatever you're using. There are no isolated poweramp models in there... they only exist as part of the full amp models. 

Ah ok sure, I'll try removing all my amp/cab/IR sims and just use a preamp sim

43 minutes ago, ReeV0 said:

Yup, everything's working A-OK as soon as I select something other than the preamp

The preamp category is the amp models minus their individual power amp section. Look at it as "something that alters the sound so that it's good when plugging into a power amp or fx return jack of an actual amp".

7 minutes ago, Schmalle said:

The preamp category is the amp models minus their individual power amp section. Look at it as "something that alters the sound so that it's good when plugging into a power amp or fx return jack of an actual amp".

But it's plugged into my physical amp & cab

6 hours ago, ReeV0 said:

I can't get much of a sound out of any of the bass preamps. Am I doing something wrong?

That suggests you need to turn up the pre-amp model using the 'Channel volume' setting on the model.

Alternatively adding a volume block, and/or compressor, and/or turning up the final output gain.

Full amp models (ie no pre-amps) will both have higher output at default settings, and sound louder because of that and additional colouring of the sound.

Play around with both pre-amp and full amp models making sure you normalise the output levels of the patches (make them the same or very similar) so they drive your RH750 input the same way.

If the stomp shows output levels when the output block is selected (sorry I use a Helix) that could be used as a rough starting point to check the levels hitting your amp are similar.

Then you can compare the tonal differences between the different approaches rather than the output levels.

Apologies that the first reply assumed an amount of knowledge.