Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Has anyone tried the new "True Spillover" ?

tlathbury

I've tried this switching between patches with spillover turned on and would view it is a mild improvement at best.  There still is a definite hiccup between volume matched presets....sort of like a very brief volume drop.

Am I missing something ?

Maybe there's a demo of this available so I can see/hear what to expect ?

15 hours ago, tlathbury said:

Am I missing something ?

Are you sure the presets you are moving between only utilize one path? Not just the preset you are leaving, but also the preset you are landing on. 

Sorry, I haven't tired it myself so I don't know for certain how well it works. 

16 hours ago, tlathbury said:

I just found this video.... and he does a demo of spillover there. 

• He briefly talks about spillover between 15:45 and 17:30
  • He talks a lot about spillover and how to use it between 27:00 and 32:15
  • He demo's it between 32:15 and 35:00

19 hours ago, tlathbury said:

I've tried this switching between patches with spillover turned on and would view it is a mild improvement at best.  There still is a definite hiccup between volume matched presets....sort of like a very brief volume drop.

Am I missing something ?

Check if you dont have some impedance jump between the two presets. This is from the official notes from L6;

"...note that there may be a slight hiccup when switching between two presets with different impedance values for the Guitar Input."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, PierM said:

Check if you dont have some impedance jump between the two presets. This is from the official notes from L6;

"...note that there may be a slight hiccup when switching between two presets with different impedance values for the Guitar Input."

Nice catch! I would think this might be particularly relevant if you have the 3.0 firmware's new impedance parameter in  global settings Preferences --> 'Auto Impedance' = "First Enabled".  This could easily cause the impedance to switch in between presets without you explicitly setting it to do so. 

Even having that parameter set to the old behavior of "First  Block" could still result in that "hiccup" if the two presets you are switching between have different effects with different impedance values in the first block in your signal chain, active or not.

Codamedia, PierM and HonestOpinion,

Thanks very much for your responses, all very helpful.  I am looking into the impedance issue.  Impedance was set to 'first block' in Global Settings and to Auto for each patch.  I have volume in the first block of all my patches, so that shouldn't be changing the impedance from patch to patch.  Still, I will try setting the individual patch impedances to a fixed 1m and see if that changes anything.

I was able to get some trails to spillover convincingly, seems more pronounced with delays versus reverbs.  Also, to clean up the transition I probably need to focus more on muting the strings before switching patches.

Appreciate your help !

• Thanks 1