Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HELP! JTV-59 doesn't with with battery

Hi,

my main guitar processor is a POD HD500X and I was lucky to get a JTV-59 second hand at a good price. 

Unpacking, I noticed the VDI USB interface box was still sealed, so I deducted the previous owner just used the JTV-59 as a standard guitar???

I fully charged the battery, 4 LEDs in the guitar but it didn't turn on.

Using the VDI cable in the VDI USB interface box, I connected the guitar to the HD500X. The guitar turned on and I could access Line 6 Monkey for a flash memory upgrade and to Workbench HD.

In short, my JTV-59 does not work with batteries. I can't discard a problem with the original battery because there are not original replacements available in Germany. Any tip about this?

I can find the Cameron Sino batteries available here in Germany, any experience to share?

Thanks in advance,

Tribaltch

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Partev,

thanks for your answer.

Going back to the problem with my Variax (the LEDs shows the battery charge but the guitar doesn't turn on with battery),

I found this image in the Full Compass website and made me think maybe the battery problem in my Variax is a loose contact.

Is the attached image OK for a Variax JTV-59? Any tip to make that checking by myself?

By the way, following your previous advice, I bought a battery #98-034-0003. It's on the way.

I hope to meet you at Winter NAMM someday.

Thanks in advance,

Tribaltch

298026.jpg

On 2/4/2021 at 7:19 AM, tribaltch said:

Hi,

my main guitar processor is a POD HD500X and I was lucky to get a JTV-59 second hand at a good price. 

Unpacking, I noticed the VDI USB interface box was still sealed, so I deducted the previous owner just used the JTV-59 as a standard guitar???

Well you can't really assume that... the previous owner could just as easily have used a different VDI cable, or he was plugging into a traditional amp and using the 1/4" output instead. In fact, if you're gonna use the VDI output, you pretty much have to get an additional cable. The one that comes with the guitar is flimsy, and intended to be used only for firmware updates and/or accessing Workbench... it's not intended to be plugged directly into a POD (or other Variax- compatible device), as only one end has the plastic housing. For actual day to day use, especially on stage, you need a more robust VDI cable with housings on both ends.

Plus I can't imagine why someone would bother buying a Variax to use nothing but the mag pickups... kinda defeats the purpose of owning one. 

-If it's the battery box, either a problem with the a solder point on the PCBA, resulting in a false signal to the main board.

-A problem with the program on the battery box circuit board. 

-Using a TS tipped guitar cable, instead of a TRS tipped guitar cable. Rare, but it can happen.

Register the guitar in your Line 6 account, then log a Support Ticket. It should be checked out by a Line 6 authorized service center.

Hope to see you at an upcoming winter NAMM soon too.