Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV 59 selector switch problem on magnetics

Hi folks my JTV59 is occasionally having problems with the pickup selector switch every now and then not switching on the bridge pick up. Operate it a couple of times and it's fine.

I know there is a bit of a history of problems with this on JTV59s but BEFORE I raise a support ticket can I do any harm applying a little contact cleaner with a syringe (battery removed oviously.)?

Under lockdown here in the UK and I'd rather not lose the guitar for a few weeks and have to sort out carriage to and from a service centre if I can avoid it.

3 hours ago, fairleas said:

Hi folks my JTV59 is occasionally having problems with the pickup selector switch every now and then not switching on the bridge pick up. Operate it a couple of times and it's fine.

I know there is a bit of a history of problems with this on JTV59s but BEFORE I raise a support ticket can I do any harm applying a little contact cleaner with a syringe (battery removed oviously.)?

Under lockdown here in the UK and I'd rather not lose the guitar for a few weeks and have to sort out carriage to and from a service centre if I can avoid it.

Don't see what cleaning the pickup selector switch has to do with whether or not the battery is in place, or why you'd need a syringe... just give a quick blast into the switch and toggle it back and forth a few times. It usually does the trick, but even if not, I fail to see how you'd make anything worse. 

Fairleas,...

Contact cleaner won't do anything except gunk things up, but if you must, use a cotton swab and drip it in.

It will more than likely be, either an intermittent solder point or a failing pick-up. Either way, do not attempt

this yourself, this is not a self repair, and Line 6 does not support self repair. Unless you have a lot of electronics

experience, a good solder station (not solder gun), and an anti-static mat set-up.

Log a support ticket in your account. E&M Electronics in Milton Keynes, near Bletchley, is an authorized service center.

Check with them about servicing your guitar.

Another option is Mark Wright Music in Northampton. Mark was my opposite number at Line 6 Rugby, when we

had a location there. He knows these guitars really well and still services Line 6 gear. 

Thanks for the responses. The guitar is well inside warranty so I’ll start the process. As to the syringe and battery out questions:

the syringe is to apply a few drops to just the right place. The battery out is because poking thin tubes of surgical steel around electrical components can have unintended consequences. Not that that ever happened to me.

No, never.  ;-(

15 hours ago, psarkissian said:

Contact cleaner won't do anything except gunk things up, but if you must, use a cotton swab and drip it in.

If you dump used motor oil in there, then yes you'll make things worse... but if you use the correct stuff, absolutely nothing gets "gunked". Deoxit exists for a reason. I've used it countless times on more guitars than I can remember, including the blade switch on the 69, and 99% of the time it solves the problem. Why assume that surgery is required? A headache could be a brain tumor, but I'm not reaching for the scalpel until I try some aspirin...

".... more than likely be, either an intermittent solder point or a failing pick-up. " --- for a 69, yes, but

for a 59, it's a different assembly that can generate different issues. But good call on the 69. And

always drip it in with a cotton swab.