Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Did I just make a big mistake or what? G10

rwinking

I have a lot of Line 6 gear and am really happy with all of it. So, I just ordered the G10 without looking on here. Did I make a mistake or have they fixed anything on it? From what I am reading the battery life really sucks and has gotten worse in the past year. Any opinions on whether I should just return it and go for the Boss WL50?

Thanks and looking forward to your opinions....

Rick

If you don't have super rush, in a couple of weeks (or a bit more), we should see the new G10T II popping out on stores. This one should have proper fix (not just a bad firmware, but also proper communication between hardware logic and battery), and a battery charge lasting more than the ~2.5hrs of the old model (after the firmware). Still, I'd wait some time and wait for real reviews of this new model, before to buy one (you never know....).

The G10 is a defective product, with an annoying flashing orange HAZARD RISK on it, so unless you found one for really cheap, I'd return it.

I had a 25% off coupon from buying my HX FX and then they had a refurb one here at the Line 6 shop. I would assume if it is a refurb the dangerous defect has been corrected. I am pretty sure the charging issue will still be there so I am probably just going to have to return it as soon as it gets here.

3 hours ago, rwinking said:

I would assume if it is a refurb the dangerous defect has been corrected.

Well that all depends on how you define "corrected"... the "fix" for the possibility of overheating was to just artificially cap the charging capacity via the firmware update, so that the battery never actually gets fully charged anymore...hence the complaints about battery life. Said cap was allegedly 80% of the battery's inherent capacity, although in practice it's obviously turned out to be considerably less than 80% for lots of users, myself included. So the problem was circumvented, but "corrected"? Not so much, imho...but enough to satisfy the lawyers, I guess. The unfortunate side effect was the neutering of an otherwise really good unit.

I am pretty sure the charging issue will still be there so I am probably just going to have to return it as soon as it gets here.

Most likely... but try it out and see what happens. It won't take you long to figure it out.

• 3 weeks later...

I regret getting the G10S.  As soon as the battery dies fully (I've updated the firmware to render it 'safe', etc...) I will be buying the Boss WL50.

(I'm not harping on the safety issues here - it happens.  It's most certainly unfortunate, but they've handled it.)

I am a big fan of Line 6 and have used their products for years, but the Boss offering is just plain superior for a few reasons...

-If the battery on the WL50 is out of juice you can use the input jack on the base with a cord, and charge the transmitter.  Way easier than having to go further up the signal chain re-cabling stuff or using a F2F adapter to bypass it.

-you can charge the Boss transmitter separately using USB.  The means you could potentially have two or more, cycling them and stay wireless non-stop.

(In defense of the G10S, the Cable simulation on the G10S is good, though.  I wish I had more use for the XLR output, but it's a nice thought...)

A few simple improvements by Line 6 and the next generation of G10S would be a winner...

I snet my refurb back and they informed me that they were going to get me a new one. I hope I will get the G10T II as they said that they were expecting a shipment in a few weeks and would I please be patient. If that is the case. the G10T II is supposed to have longer battery life. I have a G75 with two transmitters for live playing and I just thought it would be nice to have the G10 in the studio minus the two hour battery life, of course. I am really loyal to Line 6 so I hope this works out for me. 

Did I get you right in that if I had two transmitters, I couldn't charge one while playing with the other? That would be handy but in my studio, one with four hours will probably be plenty. Changing back to a cable is not all that inconvenient here but live would be a bigger issue.

Yes - I believe that is the case.  There is only one place you can charge a G10T, and that is in the base.  Not sure about the G10Tii.  They used to sell a usb to 1/4" charger adapter which promised to let you charge offline, but that product has been recalled.  I suspect they are a little gun-shy about this stuff, as that is something that should work quite well in theory, PROVIDED that there are proper regulator circuits built in, etc.  (ie - don't quote me on this stuff ;)).  If battery life on the G10T (i or ii) is lacking whether for safety-driven throttling, or whatever, you could find yourself swapping to cables mid-show, and with a few extra steps needed at that.

I'm just a basement player, so I'm not inconvenienced just yet, but I am watching the effective battery life on my throttled G10T closely.  I give it maybe 8-18 months before it crosses over into unusable territory.  It is what it is.

With the Boss one, there's a USB micro port.  The idea is that charging off base should be supported right off the bat (obviously not while playing through it...).  With that system, you could have two transmitters, and keep one charged offline with usb.  And if all else fails, use the input jack on the base to go wired.  It's a better design.

Having said all that, I am a Line 6 fan.  I really like their stuff, and am loyal.  But when Boss offers essentially the same tool with more features, for the same price point or less, my eyes definitely wander...