Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Imposible to get clean tones

ignaciopl

Hello everyone,

I'm testing the trial version of this plugin because everybody told me that this plugin use the same alghoritm than the HX Stomp and could get similar tones.

The reality is different, I can't get clean tones, every amp sound distorted and cranked, no matter which amp model i'm using, (Deluxe, Twin, Jazz Rivet) everything sounds distorted even with Gain level in 2 or 3. I've been comparing with some youtube videos and my sound is different!

I'm using a Steinberg UR12 interface and changing the input levels and output levels I haven't get what I want. With other plugins (Archetype Cory Wong, Amplitube 5) everything is perfect but I don't know what is going on with Helix Native.

Thanks everybody

12 hours ago, ignaciopl said:

everybody told me that this plugin use the same alghoritm than the HX Stomp and could get similar tones.

Hi,

Well, I would say that everybody are correct to say that. It is exactly the same and you can get exactly the same sounds as the hardware.

I have been using it since it first arrived and it sounds identical to my Helix floor hardware. I usually record into Logic Pro X using the Helix via USB and capture the stereo processed signal and also the dry mono signal which I can use to re-amp via HX Native. Never any problems.

The reality is, if it is distorting you must be feeding HX Native a signal that is way too hot, and/or check all your signal chain.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Too hot input signal. Native needs an input in between -36 and -12dB (the gray range at the left of Native meter). I'd suggest to set your max input levels to -12. Never above that, even if it's not red. If your signal stay above that area, everything will start sounding distort. Sometimes with native, and some combination of audio interface and pickups, it's better to keep input level on the interface panel, set to the minimum. 

49 minutes ago, ignaciopl said:

Thank for your comments

I did what you said and I'm getting better tones but the volumen right now is lower compares with the examples I saw in videos with same configuration of output. 

Compensate at the output, that's it. Native it's different from other plugins. The dynamic range and the headroom are really wide (and that's why you need to stay low at the input, especially with your interface which has a bit of a narrow dynamic range), and they works better with dynamic impedance circuit at the input (which is what Helix hardware does), which is rare to find on the average audio interface.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

I struggled for an entire day with this same problem of too much distortion/clipping no matter what amp. Fix is: Interface input recording level has to be LOW.. your wave forms will look about half the size of what they normally do. This will make the output volume on that track very quiet... turn up the OUTPUT fader (right side) in Native to compensate and get it back up to an acceptable level. That output level will change depending on what amp you choose. Also, I have found that almost any amp I choose has the default gain level too high (I am a clean/slight grit player). Hope I save someone a few hours.

I agree with everyone else here - the problem is the high input level on the dry track. One thing to add…..

This is the other side of the coin to another topic that comes up here regularly. People often complain that the input level of the dry signal sent by the Helix (USB 7 and 8) is too low. They look for ways to boost the level thinking that the low level will cause problems. But as discussed in this thread it’s low for a good reason. It’s meant to be reamped.