Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can I change the input level?

ttt0506

I recently purchased a helix floor. And I got the latest version. I plugged in my guitar and connected the 1/4 out to my audio interface. When I turn the output knob all the way up, the sound is a little tinny, and when I look at the volume meter that shows the output at the end of the helix effect patch, it only goes to about halfway up. The gt-1000 I've been using has a function to adjust the input level, does this one?

First, the latest version is v3.11 for both Helix and HX Edit. Make sure the versions match.

For Input Level, you get a choice of INSTRUMENT or LINE. If you're plugging your guitar directly into the Guitar Input, you want it set to INSTRUMENT.

There's also a PAD switch, intended to be used with active (or very hot) pickups. If you're using passive pickups, you PROBABLY want it OFF, but some people like it ON (me for one).

When you highlight the Output Block, the level that shows on the meter can be adjusted in many ways. The Channel Volume on the amp is one, the LEVEL of the Cab/IR block is another, adding a gain block at the end is another, the output level of a Studio type compressor at the end of the chain is yet another.

And then there's the question of the AI. Usually, with the Input Gain on the AI channel all the way down, you're at UNITY - IN = OUT, no AI Preamp boost. If you set the Output (using all gain stages, including Output Block Level) of your Preset to where the gain meter on the AI is just hitting YELLOW, maybe an occasional flash of RED when you dig in, (Green-Yellow-RED), you should be good.

You might want to search the forum for GAIN STAGING, there's lots of posts.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

+1 to everything said above by @rd2rk....

To answer the question directly, no there isn't an input level. Under normal circumstances you do not need anything more than what is already provided.... Line/Instrument & Pad. That' s more than most pedal boards will give you. 

If you absolutely need an input level, there is nothing stopping you from placing a simple GAIN block at the beginning of each preset.

14 hours ago, ttt0506 said:

when I look at the volume meter that shows the output at the end of the helix effect patch, it only goes to about halfway up.

Yep.... halfway or a touch higher is where it likes to live. If you push it too hot you run the risk of running out of headroom. There is no "tone benefit" to running the Helix near the red. 

If you are not getting enough signal to your Audio Interface.... set the outputs on the Helix to LINE. If you start hitting the Interface too hot, turn down the input level on the interface, or turn down the big volume on the Helix. 

14 hours ago, ttt0506 said:

When I turn the output knob all the way up, the sound is a little tinny,

FYI: The output KNOB on the Helix is attenuation only. If you disconnect the volume from a set of outputs (in the global settings).... it effectively sets those outputs to FULL volume. Having it FULL is not boosting the volume in any way but you can safely turn it down as required without sacrificing tone.

• Upvote 2